Purple King

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by troutman101, Jan 27, 2003.

1. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just wanted everyone to see my favorite spey fly.

Aside from the gut eye, this is how I tie the pattern.

I just got a cheap 1 megapixel camera so I wanted to see how it turned out on the web.

I hope everyone enjoys the fly. I will post a few more when I get back from Salt Lake City.

Here is the recipe:

Hook: Spey hook of choice
    Body: Wool; blended scarlet, olive, blue, and yellow
    Rib: Alternating Gold and silver band and twist side-by-side
    Hackle: Brown/grey simulated spey cock tied reverse and reinforced with a peice of olive tying thread.
    Throat: Teal
    Wing: Bronze mallard
  2. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    That's some mighty fine work. When are we going to toss in the Skagit?

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  3. mtlhead Member

Concrete, WA, USA
    Pretty Sweet, but I expect no less from you T-Man. I was going to e-mail you after I got the flys from the swap, but after seeing the blind eye hook in this picture, I know which one you tied. I was right by the way, you do tie some damn nice fly's. I hope you keep sharing them, it inspires me to keep improving when I see fly's like yours.
    mtlhead:thumb
  4. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    You know, I didn't get to participate in the swap.

You just complimented someone but it wasn't I who tied the nice one in the swap.

I did tie the the spey flies in the photos though.

I did the e-mail and even received the address but when the guy who was hosting it put the list on the forum, my name didn't show up. I e-mailed him to let him know and never got a reply.

Go figure.

Thanks for the compliment though.

The Purple King is a killer around here. Just keep away from the bling eye hooks unless you are certain that you know how to mount the gut without it tearing out. Most folks only put a 1/2" of gut along the shank but it needs to go to the end of the dubbing for it to stay on. Also be sure to use 3 or 4 strands for winter steelhead.

With all of this low precip, March is looking like an epic month. Maybe I will take the month off to enjoy it.

The next fly is the Culdran fly. The wings are mounted a little high because they get stuck in the hackle easily if mounted too low. This is also tied as close to traditionally as possible.

Culdran Fly

Hook: Spey hook of choice
    Body: Black Wool
    Rib: 4 turns of Wide Gold Tinsel with twisted scarlet and canary silk in front of the tinsel.
    Hackle: Jet black (green sheen) rooster tail. Long and really webby. Try to use the feathers that are lacking the stiff quills so it doesn't split on you after everything is already tied in.
    Wing: Bronze Mallard set high.

Have fun!
  5. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    Don't worry about the silk gut fly. I tie those to fish, and although the silk gut does not extend the length of the body, I am libaral with my turn of the century superglue to bind it all down. I don't think I used gut on those anyway. I believe it was wound mono, but the effect is about the same.
  6. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    That Culdran Fly is fantastic. I'm headed to the Sol Duc in the middle of Feb. I was going tie several Speys for that trip and now I'm thinking I should ask you to critique my work.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell
  7. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    It seems like a lot of people use dacron or mono as a subsitute. It is kind of funny that people are willing to go the lengths of tying traditional spey flies but still use superglue and plastic eyes.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Why go through the lengths?
  8. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    Nothing funny about it. So you are saying that I am wasting my time when I tie a traditional fly and use anything but traditional methods. A fly that used modern glue somewhere in the dressing is a waste of a good spey hackle? Now that seems funny.

By the way, the hooks your tying your flies on are too short in the shank for tradition. I mean if you are going to go through all the length of tying a traditional spey fly at least pick a suitable hook for the job. Not that there is anything wrong with tying them on a standard hook, but why go through the lengths?;)
  9. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Grrrrrrrr:reallymad :beathead
  10. DEREK New Member

Olympia, WA.
    I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

I have to admit I was searching for something to nitpick about your flys after you gave me a hard time about about the "plastic eyes" and superglue.

Truthfully, I don't care for the look of spey flys with those ridiculously long hooks. I usually don't like using shlappen either, and substitute short blue eared or deyed golden pheasant for nearly all my speys, but yours seem very nice. If you'll still talk to me, may I ask what hackle your using? I remember you writing about some whiting experimental stuff you had your hands on.
  11. TerryD New Member

Auburn, WA, USA.
    Looks good to me, Keep up the good work!

Terry D.
  12. Speytier New Member

New Meadows, Idaho, United States.
    :) Great looking Purple King! We use them here in Idaho for Steelhead and Chinook Salmon! I like how you reinforced the hackle with olive thread, just like some of the Old Masters! Do you tie a Lady Caroline? It is also great on Steelhead, at least out here on the Salmon and Clearwater River!

I liked you Caldurain, hope spelled right, What size and type hooks did you use for both fly and what size hook would you use for a fishing Spey Fly?

Tightlines,

Clark :beer2
  13. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Beautiful flies Clark.

Check your PM inbox