Qs on Saltwater fly tying materials

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tacoma Red, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

General questions related to fly tying materials (synthetic or real) for "typical" clouser and bait fish patterns. I prefer to post here in the Saltwater section vs. Fly Tying section because of the salmonids we are targeting in the salt.

1). Do you prefer synthetic to natural? If not synthetic what natural?

2). With all the synthetics available (i.e. DNA Halo, Polar Hair/Bear synthetics, Enrico Puglisi, Steve Farrar, Fish Hair, Super Hair, Baitfish Emulator....I could go on an on, so many choices) do you have a preference for the "typical" clouser baitfish pattern for PNW coho and SRCs?

Thanks,
    Red

2. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I like the synthetic craft fur, tied with a trailer hook on fireline. Almost never gets fouled up. :)

3. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    I don't have lots of experience to back this up, but I have been liking the "fish scale" material for my clousers. Good action, realistic flash, very durable, etc. I'm just starting to experiment with more stingers and also tying them on tubes to reduce fouling of the material and increase hookups. Many people still prefer bucktail and it's hard to argue with the success of it over the years. It has a great natural taper and good action in the water. My biggest complaint is it's less durable than many synthetics and I'm not as good tying with it. :)

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Nothing wrong with synthetics, but I prefer natural materials. Mainly for the natural taper you get. Bucktail for larger patterns, calftail for small stuff.

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Stonefish speaks big medicine.

There's some great looking synthetics, but it's tough to beat bucktail for how well it swims.

6. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    For natural I like yak hair for its long fibers and the way it looks in the light under water. About as close to Polar Bear as you can get now days. Still use at times deer hair but rarely it just does not have the same effect.

For synthetic I like the craft fur for the motion it gives to the fly.
    Course Cystal flash is a must for the flash factor
    Also use macroma yard combed out because its inexpensive still works quite well.