quail and chukar

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by sean_k, Dec 19, 2008.

1. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    anyone interested in ride share to the east side for a few days to hunt. Im considering camping and chassing some quail and chukar. I would prefer a mid week trip but I would do a weekend trip as well Im just looking to ditch the crowds for the next couple weeks.

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I'd be game...

I've been trying to get over to the 'other' side, but each time I'm either hit with bad weather or work.

I could go for a day or so, but a 'few' is stretching it.

3. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Y'all might check the weather first, we're pretty much buried here in Spokane....there's 30 inches of snow on my porch.

4. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Bird hunting will absolutely SUCK with the snow right now. The Palouse is expected to get 8-10 inches tonight, we have 25-30 right now in Spokane and my dog has a hell of a time just finding a spot to take a pee right now, let alone find birds

We are expected to get a dump tonight as well. As much as I hate to say it, I have shut down my bird hunting till this clears up. First of all, the dogs have a hell of a time with it, and secondly and most important....it's hell on the birds

5. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    yeah it sucks ;)

6. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

The chuckers will be in the rocks on the sunny sides, if we get any sun.
    Quail will be deep in the sticker berrys.
    With the wind chills below 0 me and the dogs are going to stay home until the weather breaks a little.
    Looks like Christmas eve and the following weekend will be a little warmer.
    Be carful on the side hills, ya can't see the loose rocks under a foot of snow.

7. E'burg fisher

E'burg fisher Member

Little harder walking but the birds are still there to hunt. We have about a foot around Ellensburg. Seems to make the quail covey up more. I'll be headed out this weekend, let me know if you'll be in the area.

8. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Yesterday, I couldn't stand it any longer, so me and Sammy went on a hunt... Lasted about 150 yds.... - degree temps are imposible bawling:
    Supposed to get to 30 christmas day, so there's hope on both fronts!

9. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Anyone up for this Friday? I'm just thinking of heading over Steven's early morning and hunting someplace...not sure where...any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if eastern WA snow is gone like Bellingham's 14" or so; which would probably dictate where I could go; which is what I'm needing some help with! :rolleyes:

10. Michael&Tanner

Michael&Tanner Sir Real

Andrew,

Keep me posted. I have this weekend free. I've never hunted quail, but I'd really like to start.

Thanks,

Michael

11. Michael&Tanner

Michael&Tanner Sir Real

D3Smartie, you seem to usually be in the know in that area, how are things looking?

12. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    I've never hunted quail either...hell I can't even say that I've chukar hunted either...since I'm 0-1 with regard to them (it was a hard hike to the top of a mountain with my gun).

D3Smartie has been my OB-1 Kanobi with regard to any direction with hunting the east side. I know of a few spots to try, however, those were given to me when there wasn't any snow and the season was rather fresh.

Like they say if you don't get out and try you'll never know! We could always meet up near Everett and pack your dog and gear in my car or yours and give it a try?

Sunday is supposed to be nice?

13. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    andrew, those spots are still good, better in fact now, but the birds habits will be different. Give me a call if you want to discuss them.
    quail hunting has been good for me lately. The birds have been holding very tight in the snow. This little warming trend might be changing that up though,

14. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Thanks, I plan to...once I figure out what my week is going to look like. Curious how deep is the snow out there anyway in those 'spots'?