Quality Fishing Opportunities Oct 2 Meeting

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by DeepWater22, Sep 5, 2013.

1. DeepWater22

DeepWater22 New Member

Stillwater Quality Fishing Opportunities

The following is being sent to fly fishing clubs in Western Washington in an attempt to unify the organizations towards improving the “quality” fishing opportunities in the area
    working through the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife process. Join the effort, together we can make a difference!
    Fellow Flyfishers,
    You will find an article attached that we request you to inspect and include in your next monthly newsletter and/or email to your membership. The article invites your attendance at a meeting to be held at the Avid Angler on Oct.2 at 6:30.We plan to move upstairs to the Third Street Commons at 7:00.The purpose of the meeting is to generate support for and strategy for proposals to be submitted to the WDFW for rules changes that would provide for more Selective Gear Lakes managed for quality fishing experiences. If members of your club are interested in participating, we also have attached our draft criteria for selecting lakes to nominate for change.
    Our estimate of the schedule for the next rules change cycle is that the WDFW will begin to gather input for rule adoption in April of 2014. Deadline for the public (us) to submit proposals will be June 15, 2014. In early Sept. of 2014 these proposals will be posted to the WDFW web site and public comments solicited. The deadline for public comment will be in late Jan. 2015.So, if we believe that more opportunities to fish in Selective Gear Rules Lakes in our Region is a reasonable goal, it is time to get busy!
    Also attached are some draft criteria for lakes to be nominated.Your nomination need not match 100% but the criteria should be a guide for selecting lakes to be nominated.
    The link to Snohomish County Surface Water Management site is provided to be shared with your membership describing water quality in various lakes in Snohomish County.The link is representative of what could probably be found on King and Pierce County Surface Water Management web sites.
    http://search.co.snohomish.wa.us/search?q=meadow+lake&site=Snoco&btnG=Search&entqr=0&output=xml_no_dtd&sort=date%3AD%3AL%3Ad1&btnG.y=12&client=Snoco&btnG.x=14&ud=1&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&proxystylesheet=Snoco

The next rules cycle starts in seven months.It is time to study and get ready to act.

Attached Files:

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I will try to make it, although I certainly do not agree with all the criteria mentioned, some of it seems very personal versus practical (see aesthetics) but I'm glad that there is no need for 100% compliance. For example Lone on Whidbey Island is a great quality fishery but it certainly doesn't meet many of the qualifications.

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am not a member of any organization at this time but I would like to attend.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Good luck, really. Our club (Olympic FlyFishers of Edmonds) working with Evergreen Fly Fishing Club has been working on this for years now. Trying to get a lake in the north end. We ran into a brick wall with the new Bio. Plus the states policies of trying to increase revenue by selling more fishings licenses. They think the only way to meet this goal is with "put & take" lakes.

What incentive do they have? We already buy a fishing license every year.

5. DeepWater22

DeepWater22 New Member

Charlie, membership is not a prerequisite! Come join in.

6. DeepWater22

DeepWater22 New Member

Jeff, this is the beginning of taking down that wall, a brick at a time, if necessary. WE CAN DO IT!

7. DeepWater22

DeepWater22 New Member

Ira, I think you hit the "nail on the head" all of the players involved will never be in total agreement but we should be able to come together on a common strategy and goals. Hope you can make the October 2 gathering!

8. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Good Lord willing, I will be there.

9. plecoptera419

plecoptera419 Member

Media:
    I love to fly fish. It has turned into one of my greatest passions in life. However, I have a hard time supporting "Fly Fishing Only", "100% Catch and Release", and "No Electric Motors" regulations and rule changes under the guise of quality fisheries management. It alienates the general public and is easily perceived as a loss of opportunity to those that don't fly fish.

I could support "No Bait, No Scent, Barbless Hooks Only", No Two Rod Endorsement", "No Gas Motors", and even a "Two Fish Limit 16 Inches and Over", but that's about as far as it goes with me. I think that's about as far as it will ever go with department Bio's and the general public too.

As to the rest of the criteria I can support most of it. I'm all for better growth management, better water quality, and better control of invasive species.

I like to eat fish. Not just catch fish to take pictures of. My back is in such a condition that rowing all day cause a great deal of discomfort. I'm not getting any younger, and I don't qualify for a disabled permit to allow for an electric motor at some place like Pass lake. I hate float tubes! I have to pee once in while, and I'm not pissing in my waders! Getting blown to the wrong end of the lake in a pontoon boat when the wind comes up is a shitty situation also. I won't bother fishing Pass for all of the above reasons, and the next fly fisherman I hear bitching when I bonk a hatchery trout to eat for dinner is getting the finger.

If you want support from the departments Bio's, and more of the general public for quality fisheries management, it would be a good idea to tone it down a tad bit.

Just my two cents.

NW_flyfisher likes this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Selective gear and fly fishing only are two different sets of regulations. You might modify the Lake Criteria paper to match selective gear regs. Selective gear allows for two rod fishing and electric motors.

Dividing the fly fishing community with disconnects on two rods and electric motors might not be wise.

11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

for my nothing part, I agree with plecoptera. i have been ranting for years about the mindset with the WDFW. i think if we get too pissy about the cant's, we might loose support from folks.
    on the same note i am sick of the dump fish to cater to 3-4 week spring only few.
    we all know things can be done better. at least in some selected still waters.
    but what do i know.

12. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I handed out copies of the attached documents at the last Whidbey Fly Fishing club meeting. Everyone in attendance seemed interested and thought it was great that there was an organized effort towards more quality lakes.
    Thanks Neil,
    Jeff

13. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Even though my lake fishing is pretty limited I understand and support the desire to see more quality waters.

That said the current criteria list as currently written all but assures that the effort will fail and if folks hope for success it is in need for substantial evaluation.

Clearly any hope of success will require broad support and the list as it is currently written using a "fly Fisher's yardstick" to measure the desired characteristic all but guaranteeing limited support from the non-fly fishing community.

As currently written the pool of potential candidate lakes is extremely limited and to be able to change the management on more than one or two lakes is highly unlikely and finding a lake/county impossible. To expect that limited resource be reserved for the use of limited user group will be a difficult sell. There are reasons (some good and others not so good) why there currently are not more quality waters. To advance that cause may require some thinking outside of the traditional "quality" box

Not sure where this idea that "quality" fish equates with larger fish comes from. I for one find casting my flies on a lake with natural reproducing coastal cutthroat often a much more quality experience than doing so on a water populated with unnaturally large deformed lab freaks. Maybe a natural body of water managed to produce a desirable fishery based on the ecological potential of the water with regulations reflecting that potential would be a reasonable candidate. An example of what I think might qualify as a quality fishery - Ross Lake in Whatcom County - a lake with a natural reproducing population with selective gear restrictions and a science based season and limits (July 1 to Oct 31 with a 13 inch min 3 fish bag limit) in a spectacular setting

If the goal is just large fish with controlled access is the goal than nearly any hole in the ground that holds water that can keep the frequent plantings of large hatchery fish will work; not my idea of a quality experience but apparently it works for most folks.

Good luck and I may try to make the meeting but regardless am willing to exchange ideas/thoughts with those with an interest.

Curt

mtskibum16, Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.