Queets Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dave Westburg, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Dave Westburg Member

Kirkland, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Spent Friday afternoon and Saturday on the Queets. We drifted Streaters Crossing to Hartzell Creek in eight foot pontoon boats which were a little bit light for the water. Caught a 24 inch, five pound dolly on Saturday on a #1/0 Black Muddler with long black rabbit strip wing. The ranger said it was the only fly caught fish on the river that day. The ranger also said the dolly was most likely a bull trout because 90% of the fish which look like dollies in the Queets are bull trout. There were some steelhead caught on plugs and gear. The water was reasonably clear (3 feet).

There are a couple great wet fly drifts which can be reached by walking downstream from Streaters Crossing. You need to get there early on Saturday, however, because the boats like to anchor up in them.

Next time I visit the Queets I'll bring my 10 foot fly rod with a floating line, 12 foot leader and some weighted nymphs (read Steve Probasco) in addition to my spey rod. There is lots of pocket water around Streaters crossing and around Sams rapids at the Queets Campground which fishes best with a floating line and weighted nymph.