Queets report?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Checkthisout, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Checkthisout Member

Redmond, Washington
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Well? Going to head over there this Sunday. How's it looking?
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    bad. nets, idiots, and nets.
  3. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    Then youve got Nate zig zaging between the nets as well....
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  4. sopflyfisher Active Member

sorry state of affairs here this year. i consider this my home water and it is being defiled by snaggers, nets, and nate. i don't know what's worst. almost all the coho are four pounders riddled with net marks. i can only assume that those are the ones literally squeezing through. be nice to see some enforcement out there.
    Checkthisout likes this.
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    i don't know how fishermen in good conscious support any quinault tribal businesses with the travesty that happens on the queets. a river with habitat as protected as you will find in the lower 48 just choked with nets and one of the worst hatchery programs on the coast. 100% of the problems on the queets fall at the feet of the quinault tribe, even the snaggers targeting hatchery salmon.

a jewel of a river just being willfully destroyed.
  6. Checkthisout Member

Redmond, Washington
    Are they fishing more aggressively than usual?

The small creeks round those parts always pay dividends, I just have to backtrack further from camp to fish them. Looks like there should be some Coho. Love that river (well all rivers) during low flow.
  7. Checkthisout Member

Redmond, Washington
    Bump....
  8. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Forecast for this weekend is looking heavy. Keep an eye on it though, if it shifts south you may get a shot at it.
  9. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    Big
  10. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
    Brown
  11. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    Tird

Oh, I thought this was that one word game.....sorry.
  12. Checkthisout Member

Redmond, Washington
    I was over there on other business. I drove down the Lower Queets Valley Road.

The gate is shut just as you approach the NP boundary with a sign that says "Due to government shutdown, this NP facility is closed".

LOL It was dropping into shape. I bet it's hotter than a firecracker for coho right now!
  13. sopflyfisher Active Member

huh, and i thought this was public land maintained by the govt.? i guess its more like the kings forest.
    Mike T likes this.
  14. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    It is public land, maintained by the gov't, but the executive and legislative branches are broken.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    One of the shop guys at work fishes the Queets quite often and said this year has has not been good...on many fronts. He was particularly disgusted with the pressure from commercials and has not done well this year. My first guided spey trip was on that river about 7 years ago...fun day...will always be in my CPU. Only had a tug, but it was all that was needed to light the fire.
  16. Checkthisout Member

Redmond, Washington
    Well.....even a bad day on the Queets.........
  17. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +711 / 2
    I used to fish it a lot can't get past the nets anymore.... Mentally, that is. Driving over the river it is always (seems like it) choked with nets. Heading upstream that's about all I can think about. Takes the fun out of it. The way of our world.
  18. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Is there a gate now on upper queets rd. ?
  19. sopflyfisher Active Member

was nice before everyone and their brother guided it. not to mention the insane pressure for late winter fish by the highly cool clique both fly and otherwise.
  20. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +180 / 1

I cannot agree with this statement. There are very few legitimate guiding operations on the Queets. Last year the rangers did a great job of ticketing the illegal guiding on that river.

With that said, sopflyfisher, why do guides ruin the river? Is it crowding? If that is the case, I have never been on that river and seen run after run filled with "guides."

As for the "highly cool clique", what does that mean?

Have I seen the river "busy" if you mean 10 boats being busy, yes. I have seen lenty of friendly gear and fly fisherman working together to have a good day.

The Queets' only downsides are it's positive aspects in my opinion. Clarity that scares most off the water. Access as there are only a few put in points and the shuttle is very llllllooooonnnnnggggg. These coupled with the fact that there aren't 5 other rivers to choose from in a 20 minute drive, makes for less crowding and better fishing.