Question About A Fly Tyers Status...

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by HappyHooker, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks, I'll take that one as a compliment.
  2. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Me too:)
  3. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Well, it certainly wasn't meant as an insult. :)
  4. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I never really saw it as geeky. I mean comic books, movies based on comic books, dungeons and dragons, any role playing games, star trek, star wars, SciFi conventions, the Sci Fi Channel, Anime, Dance Dance Revolution, those wireless cell phones devices that stick in your ear, Scrapbooking, Vampiriasm, Collectible Card Games, Lord of the Rings trilogy, Peter Jackson, techno music, being obsessed with European or Japanese culture (when you're an American), pimping out a crappy car, telling a joke thinking no one gets it because its an obscure reference (when it just that its not funny), Dennis Miller, 'Stop Plate Techtonics' t-shirts, Jon Stewart, soccer, waiting for hours for the opening of a movie-any movie (they show it more than once folks), wearing a costume to a movie-any movie, flavored malt liquor (Zima, Seagrams, etc.) are all geeky. I really don't see fly tying fitting into that group of things.
  5. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Hahaha, dope list sloan,

but Jon Stewart, as in the dude from the daily show, does liking him make you geeky?

I might have to throw out my daily show posters and beadspread, oh the humanity! :rofl:
  6. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    :rofl: You can like a geek, you just can't admire one. Admiring a geek makes you geeky. :rofl:
  7. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  8. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Yeah, I was never a big fan a cross-fire, but why the hell would Stewart think anyone wants his actual opinion on something? He's a comic, no one cares. Tell jokes. And to jump on those guys for being partisan? That's the pot calling the kettle black. Sure they're jerks, but he's in no position to criticize.

Ha, ha, we just hijacked this thread.
  9. HappyHooker Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Snohomish, WA.
    Great List Sloan! Man, I haven't been following this conversation for a while now and had no idea this topic was brought back up...

Nah, I don't see it as too geeky neither...Before I got interested I used to always think that fly tying was something meant more for the old retired guy who had lots of time on his hands. I've since learned that thinking was totally false. Fly tyers are of all ages and sex.

Allison, darn...Here I was thinkin fly tyin' would be a way to pick up chicks :) Most girls I know like all of the colorful, shiny, flashy things...Seems like a perfect fit.

Glad to see you don't get offended easily...Guess you have to try not to eh with the ratio of men to women on this board.

Go get em' ya'll...

-Duke
  10. Allison Banned or Parked

Seattle, WA
    Well, you do have a point there.;)

Is it too late to change my answer?
  11. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa

Just for fun, I hi-lighted a few things from your list which I just so happen to be into. Unless someone has me beat here, you can call me King of The WFF Geeks!

Here's the definition for Geeky: A person who is single-minded or accomplished in scientific or technical pursuits but is felt to be socially inept.

Although I don't consider myself socially inept (so long as it's with other fly fishers ;)), I do find myself single minded in the technical pursuits of fly tying. Sloan, I think you need to let your inner-geek out, you are amongst friends here.:clown:
  12. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Well, when my wife sees me tying, she chuckles and says "I can't believe your turning into a fly tying nerd!". Nerd, geek, dork, dweeb, Poindexter, whatever. We all have a geeky side or 2 or 3. To many out there, fly fishing in general is geeky. In fact, some guys get so self conscious about it, they end up over compensating - like the young guy who tried to wear his waders hanging 12 inches below his butt with nothing but his underwear showing, and his wading boot laces not tied. He wasn't feeling so cool when they pulled his geeky naked body out of the 33 degree water!

Then there's the guy from Bellevue who shows up on the yak driving his huge lifted Hummer, steps out, puts on his orvis gear from head to toe, lights up his cigar, and declares to the world "I'm a fly fishing baddass!", as the car full of hot women drives by and they all giggle and point, "look, another fly fishing geek!".

As for fly tiers, well, I know a few who pull out their TV tray (or have their tying table near the tv) and watch football and drink beer and eat extra spicy chili, and cuss, and smoke or chew, and try to look as manly as possible while tying. That works about as well as the guy showing off his tattoo at the star trek convention.... "live long and prosper! ...oh, and check out my badass tattoo!!"

Heck, I over heard some guys on this site talking about trying to be 'hip' like the gangsta rappa thugs and getting fly fishing related 'grillz' to impress the honeys and the ho's. You'll find these same guys giving gangsta hand signs in the gallery. "waddup dog, check out this 6inch brookie - dats DOPE!"

When my wife first said that to me (I've since recovered my ego, but just barely), I tried to explain how she was being hypocritical. "look, you go to craft stores too. And you buy expensive scissors, colorful materials, yarn and chenille, you know what chartreuse and cerise look like, enjoy bead shops, like getting together with your girl friends to scrapbook and work on crafts. It's not any different than fly tying!!!"

She just looked at me with a grin, and said "exactly".
  13. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    Nice synopsis Chad
  14. Minx New Member

white marsh, va
    I am truly humbled here posting behind Chad. I tried to show I wasn't just another fly tying geek when I tied that woolybugger on a 3/0 saltwater hook.....it was a manly fly, they still laughed & pointed. Hey, at least it was color coordinated in pink, orange, & red. Headed for a Zima at the tofu bar....live long & prosper young Skywalkers
  15. toddsbernina New Member

Kennewick, WA
    How did you know my nightly tying ritual? the only thing different is I clear off my coffee table. Put a mp3 mix cd in my sound system and tie flies for a couple hours.

I know i'm a geek and have a good time being one.

Todd
  16. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    Would that happen to be Kenny G by any chance? ::confused: :

Yeah, I have that effect on people :rofl: :rofl:
  17. toddsbernina New Member

Kennewick, WA

No Kenny G I said i'm a geek not a queer. I've got a bunch of different music David Allen Coe, Pink Floyd, Disturbed, Alan Jackson, As I Lay Dying, Johnny Cash, Sublime, Red Hot Chili Peppers, clips from Bob and Tom, Toby Keith, Beatles, Greatful dead....the list goes on. But NO HIP HOP OR RAP!
  18. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    I like certain geeky things: The Simpsons, beer classification, obscure facts, geeky women, hard cider, Go..... But tying flies?
    Would a guy like this tie flies?
  19. Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Snohomish, Wa
    I won't name names here Sloan, but that does resemble a few on the boards... so the answer is yes. ;)
  20. troutaholic Member

University Place, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Naw, I'm not. I was just hoping to be able to continue deluding myself- shot down again :-( Hey wait a minute how about fly casting does that count as hot?...hehee pathetic I know..