Question about flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gary Knowels, Jul 26, 2013.

1. For those out there that fish the beach for pinks and coho, do you catch both species on the same flies? if you think there could be either in the area at the same time do you throw the same type of fly for both or pick a certain type of fly to target one species over the other?

2. Yes and yes. Pinks will hit just about anything, especially if the offering is 1-2" long and pink. Most seem to fish for coho with streamer, shock n awe, or clouser patterns in chartreuse, pink, or a combination of the two colors, and 2-4" in length. That said, today I saw pinks and coho indiscriminately attacking all offerings from the beach including hardware and herring.

3. Gary,
    When I fish for salmon off the beaches, I use flies I feel will catch coho.
    They are my favorite local saltwater fish so I tend to focus heavily on them. I agree with ten80, if there are pinks around you'll catch both species on the same flies. You'll also catch plenty of coho while targeting pinks as well. Pink is an excellent color for coho.
    SF

Paul Potter likes this.
  4. Many of the salmon that we have caught were caught while sea run Cutthroat fishing, using Cutthroat flies, like #6 Muddlers, Matukas, Sculpin, Sandlance, Herring, Clouser Minnows etc. Generally my Cutthroat flies are tied with natural colors, more representative of natural forage rather than bright attractor patterns. I do like the old Mickey Finn though. When I do target Pinks and Cohos I use the same flies for each species, usually baitfish patterns, and rarely in the pink or bright fluorescent colors, most often a Clouser Minnow in size #4. I like to present these flies with a floating line and long tapered mono leader, 9 to 12 feet long, terminating at 2X or 3X tippet. This way I can get any kind of drift or swing that I like, while wade fishing from a beach. And generally I am looking for some current on a moving tide. In either case these fish tend to take the fly on the drop or drifting swing, and sometimes with a light stripping action, up to a foot long at most, with a little gentle "Pluck" at the end of the strip. In this move the fly begins with a slowly accelerating stripping action with a brief pause between strips. Not too fast. Not too slow.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

Paul Potter and Jeff Dodd like this.