Question about Spey Fishing

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by NW Fly Guy, Feb 10, 2005.

1. I've flyfished almost all my life. So of course have a few flyrods. But was curious about all the talk about spey rods. I've been looking into them of course. I'm curious like the next guy is. My big question is, do you cast is just like a single hander? I've noticed from some of the stuff I've seen online it looks like a roll cast. Is that all you're doing with them? I'm getting a nice fat income tax check back here in the next couple weeks, so plan to do some spending. But before I start buying, was going to get some more info on it. I can roll cast quite nicely. So if that's all you have to do, I'm set. But curious what I need to know? After checking out River Run Anglers site in the Sponsors area, may run up there. But figured before I made the drive up there, get a few more answers to my questions. So any info would be great. I'm mostly looking to fish for steelhead with the rod. I salmon fish, but mostly gear fish for them in the salt or use a shorter fly rod out of a boat. Not sure I want to wield such a large fly rod in my hi-laker.

2. You might want to look at a DVD by Dec Hogan on spey fishing. He makes it easy to understand the how and whys of the two handed rod. I am not very good but enjoy the two handed rod. For salmon you would want at least a 15 ft 9 10 11 weight. Have fun with it.

3. Thanks, but probably won't be using it for salmon. Like I said, I'm fishing out of a boat on the sound. I don't need distance, just depth alot of times. That's a big rod to be using out in the salt. I've heard you can lay alot of line out with them, but I won't be casting from shore. From the boat primarily. So will use my normal fly rods. Do want one for steelhead. I'll have to take a look at that DVD. Wonder if Amazon carries it?

4. Come to River Runs get together in Carnation on Saturday mornings.
    It is at the Tolt/Snoqualmie confluence. You can see and try casting a
    two-hander.

5. Perhaps i can help you with this one, i have used these (spey) rods or as we call them over here in Britain double handers for 20 yrs, they are not as frightening as some people make out, you can cast these like a single handed rod..just with two hands the overhead cast is quite similar except you can be lifting over 20yds of floating line in one go..thats a sight to watch and do.

Length wise you can get these from 12 to 17 ft line size from 8# onwards. If i was to use one from a boat i would go for a 12ft rated 8/9#, a 15 footer is a big rod i use mine with size 11# lines for very heavy sunk line fishing with big flies and 18/22 lb leaders these rods are made for a purpose, i would'nt use this weapon in a boat. Another thing choose a rod with lined rings forget snake type rings they are crap and wear very quickly.

6. Double-handed rods are a great tools for throwing a long lines with much less effort than your single-handed rod. The physics are the same between a long, double-handed rod and a shorter, single-handed rod, that is, the line is driven forward by the rod tip. Spey casts can be performed with either a single-handed rod or a double-handed rod.

The main difference is that by using your second hand with a double-handed rod, in combination with the potential energy of such a long lever, you can generate high line speed which translates into a more efficient means of throwing a line. As the man from whales mentioned, they can be used to throw line overhead, like a traditional single-handed rod but here in the northwest, they're more commonly used to throw spey casts.

What is a spey cast? To understand a spey cast it is essential to look at what a roll cast is. A roll cast is a cast where a portion of the line remains on the water as the cast is brought back into the firing position. The length of line that extends from the tip of the rod to the water forms what is referred to as a "d" loop with the rod making up the "straight portion" of the "D", and the line making up the "curved portion" of the "D". With the leader, and line facing the target, a push with the top hand and a pull with the bottom hand drives the rod forward and consequently delivers that power to the line and rolls it out forward. The problem with a roll cast is that it doesn't perform a change of direction very well, and because it is not dynamic, there is a limit as to how much line can be thrown forward.

Spey casts use the idea of the roll cast, but, by repositioning the line such that a change of direction roll cast can be made. The other main difference between a roll cast and a spey cast is the amount of line that is aerialized into the d-loop with a spey cast. The d-loop performs the same loading function as a back cast with a single-handed rod. The d-loop should be 180 degrees away from your target, just like your back cast with a single-handed rod. The fly line, leader, and fly should be in line and pointing straight towarrd your target just prior to the forward delivery.

There are essentially 4 spey casts: the single spey, the double-spey, the c-spey (snap- t) and the snake-roll. Because there are only 4, it's easy to keep them straight.

The single spey and the snake-roll are similar casts in regard to how the d-loop is formed and the amount of line used to "anchor" itself to the water. Simon Gawesworth refers to these two casts as "splash & go" because the moment the d-loop is formed and the cast is thrown forward.

The Double-spey and the C-spey are similar casts because of how they use the water to help load the rod. Simon Gaweworth uses the term "water born anchor" to describe these two casts.

Ultimately, however, just before the any of the 4 casts are made, they resemble a roll cast but with very little line adhering to the water just before the cast is made. The majority of the line is lifted into the D-loop so that the cast throws forward quite effortlessly.

Aaron's workshop will definitely help you start making some sense spey casting but be prepared to either attend his workshop frequently and/or the spey claves and/or read up on it, but most of all PRACTICE! There are many small pieces to each of the casts and it is imperative to have an understanding of the physics involved. It takes time to understand the pieces of each cast and to build your muscle memory to perform each of the movements. As you understand the pieces better and develop the muscle to perform the casts, you'll really start to see your casting improve. Have fun and don't give up!

7. What he said. Mike and Erin will let you cast many different rods and you can decide form there.

Also check our Erin's web site http://www.speyshop.com/.