Question about the Yakima

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luv2flyfish, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Finally....FINALLY..I get to start my long awaited journey to Washington. I am thinking about hitting the yakima on my way in. I will be passing through probably the 11th or 12th of Dec. Is the Yakima: 1.) Still open to fish? 2.) Worth my time to stop?

If its not closed waters, and its worth the stop, what are the necessities for this river. I've never seen it before. Its on the way though, and about the half way point in the drive - might as well stop and take a look. If anyone is interested in meeting up just let me know. As in every river - the fish have their preferences on what to eat....what do they prefer in the Yak? THanks for any info that you may have. Oh, and if I can fish that river - I will be throwing the 3 wt.

Tight Lines,
    J

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

It's open year around,but what the fish key in on I don't know. In December it's to cold for my bones to be outside in Eastern Washington. But don't you think that a 3wt is just to small for that stream. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Jim

3. Dave Westburg

Dave Westburg Member

Media:
    In December it will be bitterly cold. I was on the river around Christmas one year when it was nearly frozen over. There will probably be some midge hatches mid day but you will be picking ice out of your guides every few casts. I'd keep motoring West and do some steelheading on the West Side of the Cascades.

4. Greg Moore

Greg Moore New Member

The river is open year around and the area that you'll want to fish is catch and release. December can be an iffy time frame. The canyon walls shorten the daylight that reaches the water so the time frame for any hatches is also limited. Midges will be about the main hatch if there is one. Water levels will be very wadeable. A 3 weight will be fine. I use a 2 weight most of the time if there's no wind, a 4 weight if there's wind and if I'm throwing streamers or double nymph rigs, my 6 weight. Wooly buggers are always a good choice through the deeper pools. Nymphs thru the deep pools will dredge up some large white fish, which you can keep.

Don't let the prospect of cold weather deter you. It can be cold but I've been up there when it's been really nice (sunny, 35 - 40 degres & no wind). You'll just have to see what mother nature sends you when you get here. As for the west side steelheading. It can be cold there and very wet on top of the rain. There may be snow on the Yak but you don't seem to get as wet or chilled to the bone as a cold rain!

Check this site out - http://www.redsflyshop.com/

Steve Joyce is the owner of Red's Fly Shop and he's a really good guy. He'll be more than happy to help you if yo contact him via phone, e mail or stop by the shop in person. Don't know what I'll be doing that far in advance but send me an e mail as the date gets closer. If I can, I meet you there and show you some of the spots that work for me.

Good Luck!

Greg

"In our family, there is no clear
    line between religion and fly
    fishing" Norman Maclean

5. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Thanks for the info. Well, in regards to making it west to do some steelheading - the final destination on this trip is Fort Lewis. So I will be west, but I was thinking of getting off the road at the yakima at taking a look at the scenery. I will definately be out west though and have absolutely no idea where to start. It will take me a couple weeks to get squared away with the move and all, but once I get settled - I will be in the water. Is there still any fishing to be had in January?? I guess I should just download the regs. But thanks for the info. I may stop anyways and take a look. If mother nature hold for me - I will probably wet a line, cold or not - thats what Long Johns are for. Floating the Madison in 3 weeks wont be much warmer - its all for the love of the sport.

Tight Lines
    J