Question: Do I have to use MOW tips with my Skagit Head?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jon Brengan, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

So I'm way new at this Spey thing. I purchased some MOW tips with my new setup, Skagit Flight head 454 grains, with a 13'3" Sage VXP. My neighbor thought I could use a lighter Head and tips for greater performance. I'm still working at learning how to cast and usually spend a few hours casting with problems before I get decent each trip to the river. My question is do I need to use MOW tips or can I use some other kind ? I have a some from my single hand setup Rio Multi-tip would those work? What recommendations do you all have? Any suggestions to shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated.
    JB

2. 0101tj

0101tj Member

I would try a 500 - 525 skagit flight for your 7wt,as far as tips mows are good they come pre-looped on bolth ends I use the 12' in t-8 t-11 and t-14. you can use any tip I would stay between 8-12 foot long.

ote="Jon Brengan, post: 782596, member: 804"]So I'm way new at this Spey thing. I purchased some MOW tips with my new setup, Skagit Flight head 454 grains, with a 13'3" Sage VXP. My neighbor thought I could use a lighter Head and tips for greater performance. I'm still working at learning how to cast and usually spend a few hours casting with problems before I get decent each trip to the river. My question is do I need to use MOW tips or can I use some other kind ? I have a some from my single hand setup Rio Multi-tip would those work? What recommendations do you all have? Any suggestions to shed some light on this would be greatly appreciated.
    JB[/quote]

3. Tom Palmer

Tom Palmer Active Member

Hey Jon, you don't have to use MOW tips. You can use polyleaders, versileaders, multi-tips, cut-to-length tungsten line, mono, flouro... if it works for you and your waters go for it.

But it might help to understand what the MOW tips are trying to do.

Imagine fishing a run with a skagit head when you want to get really deep- so you loop on 14 feet of T-17 and a heavy fly.
    Say the next run is shallow and you only need 5 feet of T-8 and a smaller fly.

These tips are completely different lengths and weights. A lot of casters find they have to change their casting stroke to make up the difference. Plus a short sink-tip alone on a skagit creates a boomerang effect and doesn't lay out very well. A lot of anglers find adding a short piece of floating line between the skagit head and a short sink tip helps with casting and presentation.

But not all of us enjoy making loops, weighing lines on a postal scale and futzing around with lines all day! So Rio came out with MOW tips with the floating component built in and saved us the trouble.

So try your tips and see if they work for you. If had to choose two tips for winter work, a 12' length of T-14 and a 5' MOW tip will cover a lot of water, especially with flies of varying weight.

Oh and one more tip- don't bother buying the floating MOW Tip. If you want to fish on the surface, a Rage or Scandi head for summer fishing is the way to go!

4. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

The idea behind MOW tips is two fold. (With the exception of the Rio 12ft MOWs, which do not adhere to the constant line length thing)
    1. Constant line length, so you don't have to change casting stroke. (2.5/7.5)(5.0/5.0)(7.5/2.5)(10.0)
    2. Get down quick, rise quick under tension. This allows for more precise depth control around structure by varying tension throughout the swing.
    The heavy MOWs do have the ability to turn over big flies, if the line behind the tip is up to the job. But that's a whole nuther can o'worms.
    If the water characteristics dictate swimming the fly at a more or less constant depth all the way through the swing, the longer (conventional) tips will not plane up as fast when brought under tension. Also if water conditions allow the use of not so big flies, then the heavy MOW tips are not required.

Tailor your tackle to the water. Or find water that is suitable to your tackle.

fredaevans, Steelie Mike and Ed Call like this.
  5. BNF861

BNF861 New Member

I just picked up the same rod, Sage VXP 7133. A 450 skagit sounds awfully light. I really like a 525 skagit flight on it or even a 550.

If you already have tips from a single hand rio versi tip, you can absolutely use them. MOWs Definately have their uses but for tips off the end of a skagit, I keep it simple and used a type 3 and 6 tip from my versi tip or 12ft lengths of T8, T11 and T14. If I need something lighter, I will switch to a rage head and polyleaders.

6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

If you don't use the MOW tips on your skagit head Ed Ward will come to your house and confiscate all of your intruders.

No. You don't have to use MOW tips. I like 10' of t11 for all of my sunk work. You'll figure out something that works for you.

7. Phil Fravel

Phil Fravel Friendly

So is flyfishing

troutdopemagic and Ed Call like this.
  8. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

The MOW seems like a good plan for short front section of sink [2.5' - 5'] For longer lengths, personally, simple level sections are standard.

Steelie Mike likes this.