Question for the guys who also 'pin

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 2
    Picked up a nice centerpin rig at a good price from a guy who decided it wasn't his thing.

I'm curious what y'all run under the float? Jigs or beads? It seems like jigs would reduce the need for fiddling with shooting patterns which seems like a pain in the arse...

I'll still spend most of my time swinging with my spey rod but I'm always interested in learning something new.

Thx!
    Brian Thomas likes this.
  2. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    Jigs all the way. I like to know that any movement to my offering is going to be telegraphed to the float. I just hate messing with shot and crimping my line. Also, the only time I would ever use beads is for spooky summer fish in clear water. If those are the conditions, I'm probably not going to gear fish anyway. If you tie your own jigs, the customization is pretty limitless and can probably cover that situation adequately anyway by sizing down and using sparse materials. I have to admit, though, a pink worm on a white jighead is pretty deadly for big winter steelhead.
    Thomas Mitchell likes this.
  3. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    For the most part 1/16th ounce jigs, followed by small size 2 and 3 Colorado blades and the occasional pink worm (usually during the winter). As far as beads are concerned, I typically use them as added attractors on 1/16th and 1/32 ounce jigs. That is, instead running them by themselves or as droppers. In the past (usually during the summer), I use fish a set up consisting of a light float and a stone fly nymph followed by some sort of dropper. However, it has been a couple of years since I have fished this way.
  4. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    No need for shot patterns with beads. Either fish them off the back of a jig or add a swivel tied to heavier line and crimp a shot or two above and/or wrap putty over the swivel. Use lighter line below the swivel to allow easier re-rig's after break off's. I've never used shot patterns besides two # 7's spaced out on a short leader above a PW during winter. I'm pretty new to centerpins, and unless shot patterns drastically reduce leader tangles during the cast I can't thin of any reason to put that much extra fuss into leader while fishing PNW steelhead. I've been fishing 20# gel spun main with a 3' 20# butt/bobber mono section through 25g floats connected to 3/4oz inline sinkers. Good luck Thomas!
  5. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    Since you posted this on a fly fishing specific site I gotta ask:

Do you really need that much meat or do you get some sort of satisfaction getting fish on a pin setup?
  6. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I have two real pins, not that thing your fishing..a milner and an angspec. also rods..haven't touched them in a long time...reason I quit fishing the pin was I embraced the challenge of the fly...
    for sale if your interested tom..
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    Since the fact that this is a fly fishing specific site seems quite important to you, I gotta ask:

Why click on a thread about pinning while browsing a fly fishing specific site?

8. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    you have fun with your bobber fly line setup fuck that noise.

here is a pic of a pretty effective egg cluster I like egg cluster.jpg
  9. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Shotting on the leader helps keep lighter offerings (ie. bead, flies, tiny jigs) near the bottom, especially when fishing deeper water. It is both a question of maintaining a vertical offering and slowing the movement of the bobber when top currents are faster than deep currents. I like the idea of running a micro-swivel above the offering with a lighter leader, than way you won't loose an intricate shotting pattern when the hook snags the bottom.
  10. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    You like anal beads? Seems like an odd thing to blurt out...

Good point Nick. Just trying to understand the allure. Hate to see pinning catching on out here, some mid-west friends have told me some horror stories about pinners taking over.
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

that is sequentially ordered from large to small string of salmon roe
  12. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    I do not see how pinners would be worse than the current crop of redneck douchecanoe snagger hillbilly trash-mongering unlicensed "anglers" we have to contend with during salmon season? The finesse required for centerpin casting automatically excludes much of the "brute force" treble and spark plug crowd. I have some horror stories to share about those special folk...

I'm not trying to start an argument or stray off topic, but I just want to point out that the only "horror" of centerpinners is that they likely outfish other anglers in waters where drifting lures is optimal. You have more to fear from catalytic converter thieves than pinners!

I recently picked up pinning and will probably do so 50% of the time because it is an enjoyable way to fish. My fly fishing ethics (C&R wild fish, etc) and etiquette will no disappear just because I picked up a different type of rod. Besides, I need all the help I can get to catch steelhead...
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I love centerpinning. I do not enjoy nymphing a fly rod... at all.

Some of us love diversification. I get burnt out fishing the same way all the time. I have to switch it up, and centerpinning is one of my favorite ways to fish. I'm not going to refrain because it makes some fly fishermen uncomfortable.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Also: The issue in the Great Lakes is with the combat fisheries. Centerpins are for running long drifts. On the small Great Lakes fisheries where guys line up along the banks, it's definitely annoying.
  15. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    When the fall chinook are thick in the Klickitat, it seems like the only steelhead caught are on beads under a float. The guides kind of snicker at me when they see me stubbornly swinging. So I've been furtively curious about pinning.

When you get a fish on with a center pin set up, as seems to too often happen to be fair and legal, do you have to flip a lever on the reel to start reeling? Is there a drag involved or are those reels strictly direct drive?
  16. Evan Virnoche Guest

it is all palm, unless you buy one with a disk drag like the okuma shefflield dr2
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    There is zero drag. The clicker is only there to keep the reel from free spooling when you're carrying the rod around. You don't turn the clicker on when fighting fish as it's not made for that. You are fighting the fish while that reel is 100% free spooling. Your fingers are the drag.
  18. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    not true. true great lake combat fisheries are unreal masses of people where pinning might get you killed because you're interfering with snagging. the problem is on less crowded streams where pinners let their gear run long distances and fuck up the fishing for people not all that close to them. luckily, i could always seem to out walk them.

it is not like there aren't fisheries in washington with angler densities that require some level of etiquette that stupid pinners could cause problems. they've been around in BC for quite awhile so hopefully that etiquette is more prevalent in WA.
  19. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Having seen centerpins used in the GL tribs, I have a very negative opinion of them. They can represent the rudest fishermen on earth from what I have seen. I truly fear the centerpin invasion for my own personal reasons.

I often fish methods that are not flyfishing, from jigging to trolling w/ downriggers. When I have questions about them I go to a gear related fishing site. This makes good sense to me. If I were interested in centerpins I'd search out a BB in Canada or the GL.

Now pinners, that's a whole different discussion. It's legal now.

Go Sox,
    cds
  20. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +133 / 0
    Yeah, honestly, most of the combat fishing scenes I've come upon are fly rod snaggers, some with slinkies and no bobber and some with a bobber that set the hook every time the bobber twitches. Center pinners can low hole with the best of them though when they see all that open water below you. Although this weekend I was low-holed by just a regular ol' dirty thing-a-ma-bobbin nympher (with a switch rod). It was time to move to different water anyway.