Question for the guys who also 'pin

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Thomas Mitchell, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,293 / 4
    It would be interesting to go back through some of this year's Gun Control threads and see how many folks shouting "guns don't kill people, people kill people" are the same ones who are against center pin rods.

Just as no gun has ever climbed out of it's case and shot somebody, no CP setup has ever gone down to the river and low holed somebody.
  2. Nick Clayton Active Member

Armageddon indeed! I remember one particularly painful instance where I was sitting in my boat in front of the caves, and while everyone around me was slaying kings through the tide change, I was sitting there with my pocket knife cutting a few hundred yards of braid off my reel, 6" at a time. My son heard a few choice words that day. :eek:

3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    Nick,
    If you are getting a lot of backlashes and you aren't casting, you might consider turning up the line control on your reels.
    That might help control some of the backlash issues you are having with braid.
    SF
  4. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    As far as what gets posted, it is all about fishing so I'm good with that.
  5. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,702 / 2
    I tried it for one outing this summer... I was on the Skykomish tossing spoons like the dirtbag I am. Cast the spoon across the river and had the line just blow up on me. As I was dealing with the clusterfuck for about 5mins, my spoon was still in the gut of the run.

If a steelhead grabs your spoon while you're messing with/cussing at your rats nested reel... yer gonna have a bad time. Ask me how I know.

Haven't used braid since.
    Nick Clayton likes this.
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

lol You can tell I am not in touch with this kind of fishing anymore..... You suggested "turning up the line control" and I started looking on the fly reel sitting next to me for the knob. lol

Good idea Brian, I'll give that a try if I decide to play with braid again. For the time being I'm spooled with mono, and for the type of fishing I do out of a boat, I haven't really figured out where braid would be a big advantage... Except for overall strength and capacity I guess.

7. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +193 / 2
    Well, since this was directed to me... I try to fly fish 50+ days a year. More than half of those are swinging spey flies with a two hander. I've posted plenty of my flies here over the years.

On some of those 50 days, the conditions didn't support swinging flies but I know plenty of other beautiful spots where I could have floated a jig and still got to spend time on my favorite rivers. Maybe even catch a fish. Or not. The pin rig seems to be a nice alternative on the days when I can't swing and challenging enough to keep things interesting.

Thanks to everyone with the advice. It's very helpful.
    Andrew Lawrence and Nick Clayton like this.
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Maybe god is punishing us for using gear. :(

9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    This guy gets it!

Pinning and spooning to me are ways to fish and have a great time when conditions/situations aren't conducive to my other preferred methods of fishing. In that past couple weeks, I've fished and caught steelhead out of several different rivers on both sides of the Cascades, some on each of my favorite methods of fishing. If I wasn't as diverse in my fishings, I would not have gone and had as great a time as I did on some of these trips due to what was going on at the time.
  10. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +566 / 0
    Great analogy. Although I don't think you'll find any correlation, I think it's a real good analogy. Match either a gun or a CP with an A-hole and your day will be ruined. I've seen it with the CP oh so many times.

As far as me always saying Go Sox, it's just a little personalization. I don't think I've ever started a thread that was completely NFR regarding the Sox, but I may have. I've been here a while.

If you have issues with things like figuring out what the knobs an your abu do, you really should sign up for a gear BB. You can get better info. quicker than here and you won't have to put up with me.

Go Red Sox,
    cds
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Nonsense, putting up with people like you is half the fun. ;)

What's funny is, if you post your question to one of the bigger gear fishing boards there is a very good chance it will be answered by someone who also regularly posts on this forum.

I'd rather just skip the jumping around and ask here.

Personally I don't care what threads you start or what team you root for. My stance on this has been made clear. I just don't think its right to point at certain NFFR threads while others get left alone. If Chris and the mods want this to be a fly fishing ONLY site, then that is certainly their right. In that case I would hope that ALL NFFR threads would get treated the same. As it stands now, it doesn't take much poking around on this forum to see that is not the case.

12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I'd rather ask my centerpin questions here because I've been a member of this community for quite a long time, and a member of the gear boards for exactly no time. These are my people, and I will ask things, and give back on all threads relevant to what I do. I don't watch sportsball, so I won't comment there or complain when sportsball threads come up. I do fly fish, and I do centerpin, so I'll discuss those as I see fit. I also like beer. I do enjoy the occasional beer thread.

That, and the way I centerpin is very influenced from my experience as a fly fisher. I often run the same nymph rigs I'd fly fish with on the centerpin. I rarely if ever just run jigs, as I've never been a huge fan of running jigs for some reason.
  13. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    My centerpin setup's name is "Bobber Downey Jr."
  14. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,105 / 1
    This is the one I want to borrow!
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    It has landed 26 steelhead in the last 3wks. Muchas mojo going on with Bobber Downey Jr.
  16. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +158 / 0
    So you just like fishing that way. Good enough for me.
  17. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,105 / 1
    How about this weekend?
  18. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +873 / 0
    if you ever decide to fish jigs or halibut fish you'll quickly learn that braid is the way to go for vertical presentations. the smaller diameter and low stretch make it ideal for deep water and feeling the bite (especially in 450-550 ft of water).

i never had any issues with braid on my halibut gear, and it was handled by people with no fishing experience.
  19. Nick Clayton Active Member

Good point, Chris. I did some deep water halibut and ling fishing out of La Push last spring and my buddies were all rigged with braid for the exact reasons you listed. I do plan to get outfitted for bottom fishing this winter so I guess I had better get it figured out.

20. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    no worrys, I like a little whine with my popcorn