Question - For the Kids

Discussion in 'Events' started by Charlie S, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Down here in California I have been deeply involved in the Okizu Foundation (www.okizu.org) which has a summer camp for kids with cancer and their siblings. I just go up as a counselor and go-fer and it is a Blast!

What I am wondering, since I will soon be moving to Spokane, is there a similar program somewhere in Washington or Oregon that a grandpa type old reprobate can get involved in giving back some happiness that has overflowed his cups in the past?

You can PM me if you want to keep it off the board. Interested in all kids programs, regardless of reason. I am able to pass any background check needed.

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Charlie,

Good for you! I don't know anything about this group- it just came up on a google search. Might be some oportunities for you there.

http://www.wishingstar.org/

3. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

You could take a look at Morning Star Boys Ranch and The Hutton Settlement.

4. Charlie S

Thanks for the response. The most rewarding thing I know is working with kids, be it fishing with them or just listening to them.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Media:
    Charlie,

Are you still hangin' out in NorCal?!?

When are you planning on making the move up?

Jim

6. Charlie S

Still hangin" but not as active. Haven't been able to fish or hunt due to a knee operation and now a pending shoulder surgery. I hope to get out for a couple of days next week. I'll fish just a little and take a lot of pictures.

Moving as soon as I can get this dang blamed :beathead: house remodel completed and the house sold. Then I'll move up. I don't want to have one house in California pending sale and another in Washington. Too much unnecessary travel involved. It sure will be good to get up there though.

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Might check with the local Trout Unlimited program. TU does many fishing activities though out the nation including setting up aquariums in local schools of trout and salmon eggs where they are raised from eggs to smolts in local grade schools to help teach children about the life cycle of fish, fishing days for local kids to help teach them a love of the outdoors, fly fishing camps teaching fly tying, casting and fishing and other programs working with kids.

8. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    Charlie

You can def. help me if you are up here in May when i have a charity fishing derby at a put and take lake called Williams Lake near Cheney. It's the sunday before memorial day weekend and this will be our 5th year doing it...raising about 2-3k per year for shriners (the family the owns the resort are shriners). Lots of prizes, so on and so forth....so if your here, your in!!