Question on Dry Falls Hatch

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by early-riser, Mar 23, 2005.

1. early-riser

early-riser New Member

Alright, for all those who have had the pleasure of fishing Dry Falls before, here's a question to you about a hatch. Unfortunately, for some reason, there seems to be a debate in this in what the hatch/fly is. But then, when you think about it, it isn't unusual for fly fishing enthusiasts to think that they know what they are talking about, and subsequently you end up with a dozen different answers.

And so therefore, for those that think they know, what is the hatch that comes off in the late after noon/dusk in the month of May that is everywhere on the lake. If you've been there at that time, you know hwat I'm talking about! For those that do not know what I'm talking about, it is about the size of 20. They are very light in color, off white, pale green, pale silver, for example.

So far, over the past, I have heard up to 6 different answers on this, yes, up to 6. I have my thoughts on this, of course, but for those who are willing, what is your answer??????? And by the way, is that your final answer???!!??!!!!!!

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    It's a size 16 parachute Adams... :clown:

At least that is what has worked consistently for me... :thumb:

3. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    There's no debate: it's a mayfly of the genus Caenis, pronounced cane-us I believe. Google it and you'll find lots of info and photos.

4. WT

WT Active Member

There is a debate as I believe that it is a midge hatch, order: diptera, family: chironomidae. The fact that the hatch occurs over the lake's entire surface precludes any sort of mayfly, as per my non-scientific observations.
    WT

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    20 oz beer can? From the color, it could be Coors or Schmidt. ptyd A couple of years ago, in the month of May, I saw some in the campground parking lot at Dry Falls. I didn't really bother to look them over, so I didn't note the brand. :confused: Sorry, but this is the best that I can do. :clown:

6. creekx

creekx spent spinner

Media:
    Well, now I understand where the confusion/debate comes from.

early-riser,
    If you are referring to the size 20 cream spinners that blanket the entire lake surface, it's the mayfly Caenis. They look like cream Trico spinners without the dark thorax, and many have confused them as Tricos.

When you get off the lake, take a close look and you'll see hundreds, if not thousands, of the tiny exoskeletons left from the dun-to-spinner molting process still clinging to your vehicle. Midges do not molt, do not have tails, and generally do not resemble mayflies.

What you are witnessing is one of natures ultimate "quickies." The female Caenis have been found to emerge, molt, mate, and lay their eggs in as little as a half-hour. As it turns out, you're virtually fishing a hatch and a spinner fall at the same time. Perhaps that partially explains the frantic action. The fact that they blanket the water makes the catching all the more difficult. It's a simple matter of numbers and odds - your imitation is competing with thousands of naturals.

7. early-riser

early-riser New Member

As expected, I figured I would get multiple answers, and as always, even creative ones (the 20 oz beer cans was not it). For those who would fish Dry Falls, who are interested in getting the better of the trout that boil the surface during this specific time, but can't seem to get them to bite, take heed to "creekx"'s answer! For he alone knows what he is talking about! He is right!
    If you happen to be fishing in the shallows, where majority of the fish will have moved to feed during this time, you will appreciate his answer!

For those heading over there in late April, due to the unusual warm weather we have had so far, this particular activity may occur early, and if you are wise, you might want to take advantage of this information from Creekx. While others are struggling, you may be able to have a field day!

To be successful, the recomendation is to use the next size larger and don't hestitate using emergers barely below the surface. Because you are competing with hundreds nearby, you want to try to stand out as much as possible with staying consistant with what the trout are targetting!

Good luck, and if any of you get there and try what I am talking about, let me know what happens!