Question: Rock Creek campgrounds

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Steve Vaughn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    I'm looking for some first hand knowledge on the campgrounds along Rock Creek (MT) Road in the Lolo NF. I've seen some references to them accommodating travel trailers. However, the NF website recommends against hauling trailers on that road. Anyone know if there would be a problem hauling a 23' travel trailer down that road? Thanks.

Steve V.

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I've driven the whole drainage, from I-90 at Clinton up to Phillipsburg a few times and I wouldn't recommend towing a trailer up the road. You should be able to find a place to setup in Clinton. Talk to the guys at the Rock Creek Mercintile (http://rcmerc.com/). There is plenty of camping in the area, but I can't recall specific names and don't know about trailer sites.

If I could find my copy of Flyfishing Montana or my maps I could tell you more. It's a great place to fish and camp, although will be crowded if you going during peak times. There are some pictures in my gallery if you want to take a look.

Bill

3. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

There are a few camping areas right when you get off I 90.There is one right there where they have the Testical festival and then there is one at the Rock Creek fly shop I think.I wouldnt take the trailer down that road either.

4. rasbrown

rasbrown Member

Was there last summer and drove most of the road. I agree that I wouldn't tow a travel trailer down that road. There is a campground in Clinton, Eckstrom Stage Station. Here's a the address of their site http://ekstromstagestation.com/ Also, they had very good breakfast grub.

5. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Dare I ask, "Testical festival?"

6. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    Thanks, I found this place doing a web search for the Clinton area. Looks like it might make for a good base camp for the whole area.

Steve

7. WABOWMAN

WABOWMAN Active Member

Its when you dont want to be on rock creek unless you like a whole bunch of drunk crazy biker type around.Rocky mountain oysters!

8. Builder

Builder Member

Steve,
    I fish it a lot and Eckstrom's is a good place for your trailer and to base out of. From there you can take off for the day up Rock Creek, hit the Clarkfork and even go over to the Blackfoot or some smaller streams in the area.
    Chris

9. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Media:
    LOL. In a past life as a blues musician, I spent a lot of time around "drunk crazy biker types" and that was enough for me. It is only fun if you're drunk, too.

Steve

10. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

As other have said, that road is really rough once you get off the paved section and I would strongly advise against hauling a trailer up that road. Even the paved section is iffy because it narrows up in several spots with alot of blind corners. Eckstroms is probably the best place to park your trailer.

11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Wife and I once drove from Phillipsburg to 90 in a 28' motorhome towing a little pickup. With a boat on top! It was a long slow drive. When we did see others, they would just look at us like we were crazy. Which we were. Luckily I carried a case of "fix a flat" with. Used the case and the spare tire to get to the Les Schwab in Kellogg. Eight new tires and a lesson NOT learned. Still go places NO motorhome should. What the hell. It's only money.:beathead:

12. Builder

Builder Member

That is hilarious! Still married are ya?

13. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    It was her idea. I just do what I'm told:rofl:

14. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I can speak from personal experience that Bandy is still going where NO motorhome should go!

"Timber!"

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

thats one wild festival, their motto is "come to clinton and have a ball" and they mean that for real

16. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

+1 for Ekstroms. We have been there with our camper a few times. We just leave the camper there on jacks and explore Rock Creek in the truck. There are some nice dry camp sites down by the creek. Once we were fishing Rock Creek near dark and a huge storm came through. Got soaked running for the truck and our awning on the camper was destroyed in the wind! Lesson learned! Rick

17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    "Timber!" Well played, Mr. Call!

18. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Rookies. Ain't an inch of ground I haven't covered in Rock Creek (excluding the lower end, tourist-out-of-stater-trap, but what do I know?) Keep fishing the lower end; I'll fish my spots. PM sent.