NFR Questions about a few southwestern towns.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +338 / 3
    Montrose too cold.. My wife Annie has touble with the cold winters so we need something a little warmer in the winter, still leaning toward Prescott. The beat goes on.
    jesse
  2. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Prescott is very pleasant. A bit of driving to cold water fishing, but lots of desert lakes for the warm water species.
    There are fly shops in Phoenix that would have current information. Some searching might provide links.
    If you head to Payson / Mogollon Rim area let me know and I'll tell you about my favorite trout water.
  3. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    I think you are describing Moab, except can get a bit hot in the summer. I spent a lot of time there for my job and it is a great place. My folks lived in Delta CO for a few years. At the time they confirmed what Obi said about Grand Junction. Can't go wrong with Prescott.

Not too hot in the summer but not too cold in the winter narrows it down to just a few places. Have you thought about more coastal areas? N. CA, OR, or WA?

I grew up in E. WA, E. OR and N. ID. My job had me away for about 15 years and I lived in some very nice places, but I could not wait to get back once I had been away for a while.
  4. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Dale we thought a lot about the coastal areas we have traveled them extensively and once rode our tandem bike from Seattle to Eureka CA. The problem there is not temperature but overcast/fog/rain. Even Bookings the banana belt has a lot of overcast days.
    I have lived here in Spokane my entire life 64 years and I want to see and experience some other areas. I have a need for a little adventure in my life. Maybe I will come back some day and then appreciate it even more.
    jesse
  5. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Dan, Payson is moving up in my list. Found a few nice places on line at attractive prices. One has the Verde river just a few feet from the property.
    jesse
  6. Trustfunder Active Member

rock creek
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    After living in the SW for 10 years (New Mexico) I couldn't wait to head back home. It really wasn't about the place where I lived for scenery and weather, the lack of water was a little depressing but what it really boiled down too was the people. I missed the scensearity, politeness and a good conversation with genuine people that had the same interests I do.

I've lived in a lot of different places, traveled the country for work and people frequently asked myself how do you like where you live now. My answer is short, "I love it". The majority of the reactions from the people I talk to are kind of shocked and want to probe deeper. But for me it's the people, just the other day I spoke to an 80+ year old rancher 5 miles away about ranching, fishing, hunting, wildfires and some good stories from his day... as we parted ways I found myself thinking, where in this world can I bump into a complete stranger and in 30 minutes be friends for life.
  7. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,034 / 0
    Jesse, It is a real balancing act to find a place that has enough elevation to ameliorate the heat of summer yet not be so high that it is problematic for the elderly. I have lived at over 4,000 feet for several years, 7,200 for over a year and spent a summer at 10,450. I was young then but wouldn't want to do that now despite the fact that I have no health issues. I have watched several older couples struggle at higher elevations then move down to the 3-4,000 level and thrive. Above about 5,000' they just don't seem to do well.

New Mexico in particular has a number of towns at pretty high elevation, some near 8,000'. To me the sweet spot is around 4,000'(Owens Valley) and although it still gets bloody hot in the summer the evenings are generally pleasent and usually the snow only makes a cameo in winter.

Ive
  8. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    You know Ive someone much younger than you and I warned me about the same thing. The three place that are at the top of our list are 5000, 5400. and 6400 feet. I just so happens that the one at 6400' is our favorite so far. I figures that if we ended up there and I had a vigorous lifestyle biking and hiking then when we moved back down to 3500' I would be an ANIMAL. We got time to look and check it out we are not moving this winter but I don't think I will sp0end another winter here in the gloom and snow. The thing that we have got going for us is we are not going to buy any real estate we are going to rent so if it doesnt work our we can move on. We have moved alot and I don't mind it it keeps us both frrom being pack-rats. Oops the new term is now hoarders.
    Is it snowing at your place yet?
    And come to think of IT who you calling ELDERLY???
    jesse
  9. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +704 / 1
    Bad Jim, bad!
  10. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ft. Collins gets quite a few nods from many looking for these same criteria. Just far enough from Denver and only a few hours from WY's waters. Lot's of fun looking into and deciding on a question like this...good luck.
  11. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    I'm retiring in a few short years myself. My wife grew up in Phoenix and despite being a ski mountaineer years ago, warm is good. Most of the family is in Tucson now, so we'd probably go north :rolleyes: . We've thought a lot about Prescott, but you're right about the lack of fishing. When her parents lived in Payson I thought it was beautiful and has decent medical facilities. I scrambled down into a deep sandstone canyon to fish some crystal clear Brookie heaven skinny water near Pine. Bank fished a nice drive-to put & take high lake near their cabin at Heber. Her family used to like to camp and bank fish Reservation Lake south of Show Low and Pinetop but yes that's up and out there. Camp Verde looks interesting with the confluence of Beaver Creek and the Verde River. I really liked visiting at their place in Cottonwood with both the Verde River and Oak Creek nearby.
  12. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    The grass is always greener on the other side.
  13. Dan Page Active Member

Yelm, Wa., USA.
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Sometimes the grass really is greener on the other side! :)
  14. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Hell I got plenty of grass here in Spokane, in my yard, I got to mow it twice a week in the spring and THAT is another thing that has got to go.....
    jesse
    navajoe117 likes this.
  15. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    I think you'll like mariposa in California great bike riding lots of fishing. It's next to Yosemite you can't beat it nice little town. Here's a fish I caught 3 weeks ago ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352433800.421415.jpg Arizona is to damn hot unless your in the crystal mountains. Grand junction Is infested with meth heads so be careful with that.
  16. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,575 / 0
    Snow bird? Summer in trout paradise, and winter in the south, SW, or Mexico?
  17. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Who in their right mind would move to CA? Still have family there an all they do is bitch about the place and that they can't wait to get the hell out when they retire. True, it has nice terrain, temperate weather and decent fishing, but you'll pay for it.
  18. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +356 / 0
    Hey bite me buddy!!! I'm just kidding. I moved here for work and because I'd be close to family (grants pass is home). The state seriously sucks, but at least I'm in the part of it that is like Oregon.

But seriously, reconsider the four corners region. There's cheap land to be had and the San Juan is a wonderful option, and it's a good jumping off point for Rocky Mountain trout fishing
  19. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    I spent nearly 20 years there myself, but back when the state was not a demarchy and being young, I was oblivious to politics. Mercifully, the 4 corners region does not include CA and has been on my short list should we decide not to build our primary residence in MT.
  20. luv2fly2 Active Member

.othello
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    how about central oregon? some wind but tons of fishing. i used to live in a berg by the name of lone pine. two room schoolhouse, etc. mike w