NFR Questions about a few southwestern towns.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jessejames, Nov 6, 2012.

1. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

jerry, did you like the peppers? if you go to a hotter climate you will be able to grow some hotties. my felix and bhutto peppers did not quite ripen . need a longer growing season. when are you relocating? mike w

2. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

oops, i am sorry, you look like a jerry not a jesse. it could not be the busch light. mike w

3. FlyFshn'Fool

FlyFshn'Fool Member

I currently reside in AZ and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

I would say base it on what you are looking for in terms of recreation, weather, etc. If you have posted this already, my apologies, I did not read the entire thread. If fishing is high on your list, I'd look into Reno or Boise, I know, not the SW. AZ has fishing, it has decent fishing, but it is not what you are accustomed to, they are not big and there isn't much variety. If you are into horses, golf, hunting, etc., this may be the place for you, but I am counting the days to get the hell out of here!

A word of caution about the central and west part of the state, you WILL be driving to get to fish. Most and the best opportunities are on the east side of the state! Prescott, you will be driving to fish!

What ever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!

4. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Mike loved the peppers thanks a lot. We will be doing some gardening for sure and peppers are on our list. Maybe we can even get some tomqatos to ripen:) We would like to move right away but we have to get aqll of the closing stuff done at the shop. It will be after the first of the new year for sure but not sure when.
    jesse

5. shawn k

shawn k Member

Try Auburn,placerville, or Grass Valley in Ca close to sierras not to far out in BFE and if it snows in either of those places its gone in a short period. Also check out Burney, Shingletown, Almanor. I have several friends that moved to AZ and now cant move back because they lost there asses on their homes. Also it's a long drive to go fishing. Redding and Red Bluff are too hot.

6. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    Moses Lake in the summer and a 36' motor home headed to AZ or NM in the winter. We have a shop and large parking area with 50-Amp hookup for the motor home so I can do yearly maintenance/upgrades. The shop has a 700 sq foot apartment: door into the shop; door to the outside.

Only downside was that the motor home is 35'7" long; the shop is 35'00" long. But it has 16' power doors!!!

Craig

7. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I have enjoyed the responses and have researched the other areas recommended. Like I said earlier our new location has to be comfortable year around. Part of reason for north central Arizona is the warm weather which will benefit my wifes comfort level AND part of it we have some family there. We can't afford a summer home and a winter home that would be wonderful but it ain't happening. I enjoy fishing but I have other hobbies as well. I have fished a lot and had the opportunity to fish some great water in my lifetime, I am thinking that my new home can be less fishing and more other pursuits. I will be able to travel and fish in the west but it will be from a new home base. Just to let you know the list is smaller now with Prescott leading Payson AZ a newcomer is is 2nd and Show Low is hanging in at 3rd.
    Grand Junction is out as well as Farmington NM.
    jesse

8. bwtucker83

bwtucker83 Member

Media:
    I find myself in a similar situation, looking for the perfect spot to "set up shop" when I graduate dental school. I have spent a lot of time looking at Redding CA. The sacramento is a great tailwater fishery that runs right through town, plus 1.5 -2 hours to multiple steelhead rivers. It does get hot in the summer, but there is plenty of water nearby to cool down in - Wiskeytown Res and Lake Shasta. Sure the taxes are high here, but this town has a very conservative/small town feel to it.

I have enjoyed the thread and for me Durango/Montrose looks very appealing.

9. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Several smaller burgs North and East and West of Redding at 2-4000' that are way cooler in Summer and still in easy reach of fantastic fishing: McCloud, Burney, Dunsmuir, Lewiston, et al.

10. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I'm with Travis; why would any normal person move to CA?? Having lived there most of my life, I've seen it degenerate from a magical place into lunacy. Yeah, there are some decent places to fish, but then you have to go back to the asylum. It's a conservative's hell. Of course, if you're a liberal, it's not bad at all-until April 16th, anyway-assuming you're not on the dole.

11. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    I don't think CA is on my list not because of the politics however. I would probably fit in more in Humboldt county than any where in AZ. I am going to move for reasons other than my political persuasion.
    With recomendations from some on this board and others we have decided to concentrate on the Show Low AZ area and see if we can find affordable housing there.
    It is a beautiful place in the White Mountains with lots of high lakes and a couple hundred miles of moving water in close proximity. I will have a chance to catch Gila trout, Apache trout, Grayling and many others in the local lakes and streams. There are hundreds of miles of single track mountain biking and paved low traffic roads for road biking.
    It does get cold in the winter and there is a little snow but it doesn't last long. The days warm up fast, yesterday it was 20* at 6am but a bright and sunny 58* at noon. (Spokane was 25* at 6 and 36 at noon and heavy overcast). The summer temps will get in the low to mid 90's for a couple months but don't reach 100 like the valley floor toward Phoenix. Only twice in history have they had 100 degree temps.
    The fishing regulations are more complicated than Washingtons :eek::eek: it takes an entire page to discuss the various options for just buying a license. Out of state license for me for the first 6 months before I am considered a resident is only $60. It is fairly close to the San Juan and drivable to Lees Ferry so we can make some short camping trips there. There are hundreds of historical and archeological sites nearby many federal and state parks and forests to visit. My wife's a hobby photographer and she cant wait to get there and start seeing the sights.
    The beat goes on, we are still researching but narrowing it down. Oh and BTW it is only 3 hours to Spring Training baseball and the regular season Arizona Diamonds backs MLB park.
    jesse

12. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, as a professional Forester I got to live and see much of the west.

The area I only briefly got to visit was Boulder Mountain and Highway 12 in Utah. Those professional Foresters that lived and worked there always commented that it was the highlight of the career's for a natural landscape.

There are small towns in the area, but I am not sure how important shopping is in your life. In our case, a super Wal-Mart is way, way more than we had in most places we lived until recently.

The west has really changed in the past 40 years. My wife calls it the "baby boomers trashing everyplace".

I am not sure your age, but sounds like you got a few years ahead of you. Take a look at the town and see if it will gracefully age. We LOVED Wenatchee when we first moved here in 1985. It is still a nice city, but no longer a town. Now we avoid driving in late afternoon because of the traffic. There are lines of three or four people waiting in the credit union at all times. Doctor's appointments are now being scheduled a couple months in advance. Life is too short to wait in line or traffic.

The other issue is community. Large cities are basically all the same. For small towns the level of governmental services such as libraries and schools varies dramatically. In our case libraries are critical. When we lived in Coeur d'Alene the town was the same size as Wenatchee but had a one room library!! In Wenatchee in 1985 I could order books by connecting with the library computer system and they would mail the books to me!! If the library did not have the book they either purchased it or went inter-library loan automatically. I did get a note once that they had bought too many books for me!! Quite a difference.

Good luck in your search for the perfect place. It is out there...somewhere.

13. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    Vladimir's advice is sound. How a town grows into a city can make a huge impact on your quality of life. Choke points like bridges can be quaint when you move there but turn into huge time wasters later on if you need to get past them for important services. And gridlock if they close for repairs (just ask the residents of the Tri Cities when their "Blue Bridge" closed recently).

As you age your ideas about how long it takes to get to medical help can change, too. Our farm in the Basin was 45 minutes (or more) away from any hospital in any direction and the ambulance service was staffed by volunteers who, while professional and competent in their work, had to get to the ambulance from wherever they lived before they could even head to our farm. Since farms are inherently dangerous we had many trips to the ER and always just drove ourselves. Something you can't do with many problems associated with aging.

The availability of the Internet and cell service is also something to take into consideration. Our farm was dial-up-only as recently as 2010 (except that I was an IT admin for the school district and could set up a WiFi line-of-sight connection onto their T1). And cell service away from the Interstate is often much less than the minimum 3G you (or your wife) have become used to.

Moses Lake has become a small city in the past ten years but it's still small enough to get a doctor or dentist appointment the same day you call in. But our choke points (a bridge and a lake) can be annoyingly slow at times. I suspect that in ten more years they'll either have to build another bridge or it will be gridlock here; and no one has any money for a new bridge!

Some things to think about.

Craig

14. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Steamboat Springs, CO. Ok, there is snow but totally worth it.

15. Teach

Teach New Member

I live in Pueblo, Co. We have a few weeks in the 100s, a few weeks below 0, not much snow, around 100k population, and the Arkansas tailwaters, which is a great place to come fish. Heck if you ever pass by throw a fly in the water just for fun. If it peaks your interest check the real estate ads. You can get a damn nice house for a good price.

16. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

My parameters are a bit different BUT......
    Prescott is pretty awesome. I would call it high desert, so it's not too hot in the summer.
    NM is fabulous as well......though my time spent there was with a camera not a fly rod.
    My suggestion? Go visit. Spend some time. Call it investigative journalism or scientific data collection. It's all theory until you pony up the rent.

17. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    That is my plan... We have a 'home base' in Payson AZ at my sister-in-laws place and we are going to do the final investigation from there; however we wanted to narrow it down and try to get as much intel as possible. Show Low is high desert with trees that makes it attractive to us.
    jesse

18. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

I visited Prescott Valley in the winter: it was beautiful. My uncle, who lives there, said the wildlife is abundant. Love to go back and fish the area. Good luck!!!!

19. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    Look in the Taos, Los Alamos & Santa Fe corridor of New Mexico. Lots of activities, good weather, strong economies and an active population with the activities that you describe.

20. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:

Jesse,

I would strongly urge you to look at Asheville North Carolina. It is a city that is in the south but very progressive. It is probably the only city I have experienced that has been able to keep it's small city feel (think Olympia, Boulder, Burlington VT), yet still have a great thriving young progressive scene. The cost of living is much less than all the above mentioned cities as well.

The weather in Asheville is a lot like the PNW but without the rain. There is rain, snow, sun, sleet, black ice, etc. But there is mainly sunshine. I loved that it may rain once or twice a week all winter long but it will be sunny the rest. The summers are dry and not humid like the rest of the south because of the 2000 ft elevation.

The other thing that I don't think was on your list, is healthcare or close proximity to it. Asheville boasts a level 2 trauma center and two other level 3 trauma centers. This is a huge thing as we age and as our outdoor activities catch up to us. My friend was Mtn Biking and shattered her tibia in pieces. In most good outdoor locations this would require an Ambulance ride to a small community hospital (45 minutes) triage assess stablize (4hrs) and a life flight to a trauma center (1hr). She was from accident to e.r. in less than 30minutes. And had surgery, rehab, and continuing physical therapy right there. For the older generation Asheville's Mission hospital has a dedicated heart tower that is one of the best. They really luck out with being a teaching hospital for the University of North Carolina system.

On the gustatory front, there are at least 7 micro brews within a stones throw of Asheville, and most of the bars also brew their own beer. The town boasts one of the best BBQ joints in the country (12 Bones). There is just about any kind of food you can think of in town. If you like southern food, well you are in the south. Shopping for food they have it all. From crunch granola type, to good ol' safeway style.

Activities (cultural), there is a lot of history in the town. The Builtmore Estate is located just outside of town. The B.E. was built for George Vanderbuilt as his summer get away from New York. He orginally owned 125k Acres in and around Asheville and had several hunting lodges built on his property. There is a thriving social scene, thanks to having two universities in town.

Activities (outdoors), this is the outdoors capital of the south. Some of the best whitewater kyaking in the country is dotted around Asheville. Asheville has the best Mountainbiking there is, outside of the desert southwest. I used to ride hundreds of miles (literally) of maintained mountainbike trails. Look up 24hrs of Pisgah for probably the hardest mountainbike race in the country. Road biking is amazing. My ex-wife is on the Subaru race team for Triathalons. They train in the hills of western Carolina. Hiking, there are many many peaks and waterfalls to hike too.

Ok, ok, what about the fishing you say? Well if they had anadramous fish, it still would be my home. Oh and the ex-wife thing. The waters of Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee are some of the best trout fishing waters in the country. There is everything from small mountain streams with "specklebacks" southern term for brook trout, which are native to the region. These streams you can use the 0 to 2wt and dries for hungry fish. All they way up to the big tail-race rivers that hold 5-10lb brown trout. Oh and it's not bad to be 5hrs drive from the coast of South Carolina. Redfish, stripers, Cod. When I lived there, I figured it out. I was 8-15hrs from anywhere. I could drive up to the Great Lakes, Arkansas, Florida, Texas, Long Island, all in a days drive or less.

Then there is the best part of Asheville. They have a great Airport! Bahamas, BC, South America, eh hmm Forks

Jesse, if you want any other info please feel free to P.M. me