Questions for you rod builders

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by sandspanker, May 2, 2011.

1. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

I have a 6-10 lb spining rod that is 10-9. I'm thinking of making it into a switch rod. Does anyone know what the fly wieght be?? I'm thinking a 6 wt. but could be wrong thanks

2. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Media:
  3. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

CCS works for standard fly weight. How well it works for a switch style, where the weight is genarally in terms of spey line that it would cast, I don't know. I just did a a rebuild on an older 12' 9 wt Fenwick HMG one handed rod and turned it into a switch rod for a customer. The line that worked best for it was 6wt. spey line. In determining what wt. fly line line from a spinning/casting blank, it is the lure rating not line rating that you start with. If you did CCS on it, what ever size line that would be I would subtract 2 for spey line. My feeling is that 6-10 lb test would have a lure rating of 1/8-1/2 lure rating which would probably be a 5-6 wt straight fly line.

4. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

so its a 10ft 9 in rod... 6-10 lb rated line and 1/8-1/2oz rating. I am using it for my bobber pole now but have another one just a little shorter that works better for the smaller rivers. I called the anglers workshop they said 8wt was the general thought among there workers in the shop. so then would that be a 6 wt spey?? That is what I would want it either a 5/6 wt with a 6 wt being the ideal. Thanks

5. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

Do the CCS and then subtract 2 for spey. Static deflection for guide placement. Tape them on, borrow a couple of lines in different sizes around that and see what works.