Quick Amber Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dbk, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dbk

dbk Active Member

Fished Amber Thursday afternoon from 2-6pm and Friday from 11:30-2:30pm. Guys fishing anywhere but the far south end (at least the ones I spoke with when putting in at the launch) reported slow fishing. Water temps were in the low-mid 40s, and with no bugs or fish showing at the launch or out in the open water,, I headed to the far south end and anchored up in about 4ft of water. Throat samples and shucks on the water revealed that there was a hatch of chiros (black - 14/16) that came off earlier in the day but ended by the time I arrived at 2:30pm. Thankfully, the bite continued and the fish were concentrated though the emergence ended. Fishing a bloodworm 4ft below an indicator produced 20-25 fish in three hours.... Most were 14-16 inches but numerous 17-18 inch fish were taken and a couple were touching 20". Came back on Friday a bit earlier (11:30am) hoping to hit the chiro hatch, which was not as strong as the day before, but the fish were still there looking for them.... Size 14 static bag chromie 4 ft below the indicator was the only fly I needed... Friday results were about the same as Thursdays in terms of fish landed, hooked, etc.... Can't speak to how other parts of the lake are fishing, but the south end is fishing well (at least in certain areas which tend to concentrate/attract the fish).

aplTyler, Mike Ediger, dfl and 3 others like this.
  2. robl

robl Member

Media:
    Did you get any Cutts?

3. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Nice report. Sounds like it hasn't changed much since I fished it last.

4. dbk

dbk Active Member

Robl, I did catch some cutts- 3 to be exact, the largest being 16" and beautifully colored up. All the cutts were thick and well-proportioned.

5. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Well done DBK.