Quick Naches report 7/5/13

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Luke77, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Docstash and I took the watermasters and floated from halfway flats to the pinecliff bridge today. Great float despite the wind. Oh and it may be a bit too early to wet wade... Especially with the wind; froze our asses off. Hooked and landed a few fish, all over 12" and all cutties. Few and far between and all were in places off the beaten path. My advice for those wanting to float it is, watch the log jams, dodge the big boulders, and be smart about it. As far as fishing goes, we threw chubbies, stones, and all the small stuff you can think. Finding the fish is the battle. Where there's 1, there's more.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cmann886, Steve Call and Ed Call like this.
  2. Luke77

Media:
    Amazing how they feel like whales on a 3wt!!

[​IMG]

3. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    nice! pretty brave fishing a 3 wt. out there!

Blake Harmon likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Lot of white water there. You guys have a lot more guts than I do.

5. Luke77

Media:
    It's called balls omj, "have a little balls". (inside joke) but seriously, that section is calm compared to the rest. No pain, no gain.

That 3wt is a machine! Don't hate. Let's just say, I've known of some beasts to be landed on a 3wt. I've already said too much.

McNasty likes this.
  6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Give me back my watermaster.

Luke77 likes this.
  7. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    Nice report. I am fishing it soon ill post a report if we have any luck. Curious how the guys from Seattle make it to Naches...take 90 east or do u head south and then shoot over by rainier? I've done 90 but this route looks potentially faster....

8. Chris Bailey

Chris Bailey Member

I have a cabin a few miles upriver from halfway flat and it is quite a bit shorter to take hwy 410 than to go all the way to Yak and back. I can do it in less than 2.5 hours without too much speeding. That is from Beacon Hill, so I'm on the freeway out of Seattle pretty fast. In the winter/spring when Chinook is closed and I have to go through Yakima, it is close to 3.5 hours with clear roads.

Thanks for the report, by the way. I'm looking forward to hitting that area more this year. I haven't strayed too far from the area between the Little Naches and American/Bumping confluence in the last few years.

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Where's Halfway Flat? I don't know the area, but driving by on our way to Packwood at the beginning of last month, the river looked nice. I've been thinking about making the drive for a recon.

10. Luke77

Media:
    It's just above where the little Naches dumps in the Naches. First campground above the confluence. Really nice put in, but be warned the water is really skinny up that high.

11. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I was up at Bumping Lake last week and I should have taken the time to drive down to the little Naches or the American. The American looked particularly inviting when we drove up to the pass. But, it was a family trip and I was constrained..... My brothers-in-law and I did try the Bumping River one evening. Of course, with the very hot weather melting snow on the ridge lines last week, the river flows spiked and it was pretty unwadable when we tried. Well, at least the dunk cooled me down. Of course, levels were dropping as we left.

Steve