quick okanogan report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by dbk, Apr 20, 2013.

1. dbk

dbk Active Member

I fished a couple of year around lakes in the okanogan in anticipation of the general opener next weekend.... these lakes are at a highter elevation, and I got word that the snow had ice come off over the past few weeks so I made an afternoon visit and was fortunate to get into some fish. Water temps are still very cool- mid 40s, and there was a brief, but fairly intense chironomid hatch on one of the lakes that came off around noon. Other than that, there was very little bug activity other than some chiros returning to lay their eggs but no real emergences. The shallows (water less than 10 feet) also seemed devoid of fish activity- clarity was good but could see no cruising fish other than a few smaller fish. I concentrated on fishing the outer edge of a deep channel (12-13ft) that cuts through the center of the bay... not sure as to why, but the center and near side sections of the channel produced one fish all afternoon. There is little to no depth change within the channel itself but the best fishing was found all along the outer edge right off the transition point (where it begins to gradually shallow up to 8 ft, 6ft, etc... ) Throat samples revealed a few blood worms, damsel nymphs, scuds, and chiro's, - a maroon micro leech with a black/red balanced leech (thanks IRA!) beneath it fished about a foot off the bottom under an indicator accounted for all the fish today. Hit 5-6 rainbows at 14-16in, and a dozen or so of the little guys (8-10in), but the highlight of the day was a 15in and 13in brook trout. Good day on the water

Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Thanks for the report and writing about how you found fish on the edges of the channel and the insects they had eaten!

I found last spring very early in the morning (before hatches) the fish were deep in the channel I was targeting in a flat, and then when the hatches started I would make sure my top fly was at the flats depth, or top of the shoulder, and fished the edges much harder than the middle. one thing about early spring I love is the later bite and all day feeding in most instances.

3. dbk

dbk Active Member

Mark, since these lakes are at a higher elevation, the chiro hatches really have not got going yet and the fish have no need to move into the shallows (flats) to find food since the same sources were equally available at depth in the channel where its safer (there are always predatory birds it seems looking for an easy meal in this bay)... My best guess anyways as to why they were cruising the outside edge of the channel. The only fish showing at the surface were the little guys and throat samples did not reveal very heavy feeding (in fact, the bigger fish had eaten only a few random sources). We have had pretty cool weather up here, but this lake should really turn on soon and produce some terrific fishing....

4. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I ran into the same kind of fishing, hitting 8 different res. last month for ice-out and will never try and target ice-out again (lesson learned) I am planning a trip at the beginning of May and hope for clearer waters and a lot more hatches to trigger fish from the deep water to fly fishing depths and hatches! some of the same res. (to redeem myself)
    reports are higher res. already which should clear the waters because they were so low after winter the flats were muddying the waters all over the lakes from wind, no hatches meant fish staying deep.

Hoping the dam fish are woke up for the spring gorging! Was going to go to central Oregon to fish east and wickiup and maybe lava but reports of a very hard late winter in the area backing up hatches this year have me going eastside again to the high plains! also they had changed the brood stocking program at crane prairie so the last couple years the numbers of trout have been down. central Oregon will be late may when East lake bows and browns target a very good cali hatch and dries and emergers are the ticket for part of the day. Getting a little tired of the indi game and am going to target some good hatches this year for some dries and softy's, doesn't mean I wont be soaking a bobber too - just not as much.

Wish I lived closer to the Okanogan area. one of the only places I have not fished in Washington since I have been buying an out of state lis. since the 80's but man it's a long way from Portland! But those upper columbia bows are teasing me, laughing at me, giving me the fin for not going the extra mile to give them some respect! I lower my head!!!