Quick Pass Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +903 / 1
    Yesterday I took my son and my nephew out for quick Pass jaunt while we were camping at Deception Pass. We were on the water around 3:30 or so and we found fish trolling deep and slow with a leech just in the launch bay. We also found some fish at the far end doing the same thing but we did not find any fish in the middle area at all.

I stopped once and indicator fished and the indicator dipped under on each cast but the boys wanted to move so back to rowing I went.

All the fish were Rainbows in the 16" range. Two were snake looking with big heads. Some were sluggish, but my son managed to break two off that he couldn't quite handle.
  2. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Thanks for the report Ira. Way to keep the boys happy by ignoring the call of the dark side! Not all of the time, but at least most of the time anyway.;)

I kind of wanted to make my way to Pass on vacation, but it's this dang salmon fever!
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  3. Irafly Active Member

Yeah, it was hard to pull myself away from the indicator, but the boys also wanted to row. And as for Salmon season, I now look at salt a bit different after a couple of trips with Nick Clayton out on the salt and I kept wanting to cast on the beach while the boys looked for rocks.
  4. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +220 / 0
    Nice report! The launch bay has been lively on minnows and midges for quite a while now. Guessing you saw the swallows tearing it up and couldn't resist a little vertical :D
  5. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Nicely done Ira,
    I wonder if those "skinny" trout were sick?
  6. Irafly Active Member

No swallows at the launch bay, but there were some at the far end working high up in the air. I couldn't resist the vertical, because I knew the fish were thick in there, it is easier to cast and retrieve when you don't have the oars in your hand and the indicator is fun to watch dip down. Besides, I had left one of my sink lines out while anchoring up and it got hit sitting perfectly still on the bottom. The fish wanted it moving sloooooow.
  7. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Hey Ira, did you use any of the flies from the micro leech swap under the indicator?

Wayne
  8. Irafly Active Member

I used the one I tied and I also used one of the ones I'm sending you for being first in.