Quick trip N Fork Clearwater

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by ribka, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Traveled to NF Clearwater two weeks ago for 3 days of fishing. I always wanted to try this body of water when driving to Kelly and Cayuse Creek. Took I 90 through Idaho and Montana and went over Hoodoo pass. Found a great spot to put a tent near the river. Water level still looked good. Got the tent set up, air matresses blown up and dogs fed. Wanted to fish first day but was dark by the time every was set up.

Fished Friday and Saturday and did well. Looked for areas that required a bit a walking from the road and fished the tailouts and deeper pools. Fish seemed to prefer samller para adams (14-18) over stims. Ants also worked well. Also did well on flashback PT's (14-16) and prince nymphs (10-12)
    Fished preferered dries in the morning and evening and nymphs during the day. Caught a lot of nice, healthy fat cuts. Biggest probably pushing 18 inches. I had two break off on 4x on my 3 wt and had a few really big cuts come up and bump my stimlator but would not take it. Even got my wife to hook up on a some nice fish. This is a great area to bring a beginning fly fisher. I really enjoy fishing this area and saw lots of wildlife and not many people. Hope to return at least one more time this year

Drove over to Kelly and Cayuse Creek and the water level still seemed ok, but did not fish as the NF was fishing so well. Attached some pics. Sorry for the dog in the pics he can't stay away when a fish is on the line

Thanks to Spowino and Panhandle for helping me out with this area.

2. Great report! The N. Fork is one great body of water that I have fished many times.

3. I really enjoyed your pictures. Looks like an incredibly beautiful area. Your dog as show in the photos also brought back some wonderful memories of a Hungarian Viszula that I once had. They sure are wonderful companions in the outdoors and not to mention great bird hunting dogs.

Bucktail

4. great pics, beautiful river and a real nice report. thanks

5. Have fished hole number 7 on far right many times with much success. Beautiful pics.

Randy

6. Looks like a great time! I love how the dog is so into it. Mine only cares about half the time.

7. Been there once. Beautiful fish, beautiful terrain, beautiful solitude! Any sign of the kokanee yet? I have never seen little kokanee like the ones in that stream. Guess they come up from Dworshak.

Anyway, congrats on discovering that terrific water, and thanks for evoking memories through your words and photos.

8. Great shots - love that river. Sounds like a nice trip.

9. Nice report!! Great photos.

10. Awsome river! great photos... thanks for sharing...

11. Glad to help, Tom. Looks like you had a great time.
    Kent

12. Great report, great area, great pics. Does the dog point when it sees a trout?:)

13. Where is the North Fork Clearwater? Looks like you had an awesome time there!

14. Wife took the photos with a Nikon digital SLR. Always makes me nervous when she is wading on slippery rocks in the middle of the river with a $1000 camera. Need to buy her a water proof digital one of these days.
    The dog does raise a leg when he sees a fish; don't know if it would be considered pointing. He is nuts for fishing though and he is a handful in the driftboat when I have a fish on. I bought him as a hunting dog but turned into my wife's lap dog now although I can get him out to chase chukar and quail if the weather is not too cold. Vizlsa very affectionate breed. The other dog is a german shepard we got from a rescue.

Tom