Quilceda creek

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by r.overstreet, Mar 16, 2014.

1. r.overstreet

r.overstreet New Member

Media:
    Open quilceda creek for catch and release fly fishing only.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    ok. I'll get right on that :rolleyes:

triploidjunkie and constructeur like this.
  3. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Try Pilchuck instead. ;)

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That's the very stream I learned on,not much access these days

5. r.overstreet

r.overstreet New Member

Media:
    Just saying. I know it's to protect salmon, but I think they could make it work.lots of cutthroat down there and not all little either. I know it's small, dirty and in the middle of town but I'd fish it.

6. r.overstreet

r.overstreet New Member

Media:
    If you don't care about the size of fish you catch and more just about standing in the water like it is for me pilchuck is just fine

7. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    We're talking Pilchuck creek right and not the river right? As OMJ as pointed out many times it's the best skinny water in the area. There are sketchy folks roaming around near the bridges, but there's also some nice fish. It's not right in Marysville, but it's not far.

8. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

I suppose this begs the question: If the Pilchuck is fine, then why open Quilceda? That creek just seems like the possibility of harassment to juvenile fish and spawning salmon outweighs the possible benefit for the few responsible fishermen (who could just as easily fish a different creek). I agree that it's a shame that creeks like that can't be open, but there'd for sure be morons from the local apartment complexes harassing salmon with fred meyer fly rods.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  9. r.overstreet

r.overstreet New Member

Media:
    Ya you're probably right about that

10. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

hey man, those fred meyer rods work when ya in a pinch ;)

Jeff Cheng likes this.
  11. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Quilceda Creek (like many small waters) was closed to fishing in 2010 as part of WDFW "new" stream management strategy. There were significant discussion of the change at that time here on WFF. Page 21 in your fishing regulation pamphlet has a discussion of the change. Expect that sort of closures to come to much of the rest of river basins in the State over the next few years. While a lot of water has been closed the regulation listings of those waters still open under each basin in the regulation pamphlet would be an excellent starting point for an angler looking to explore "blue lines" on the map for some small water trout fishing.

Historically the "Quill" support a very robust coastal cutthroat population (including some very large sea-run fish) but like most of our urban streams the quality of the fish habitat in the basin has become degraded. It still supports decent numbers of cutthroat and coho and some chum. A few steelhead and Chinook are at times also found spawning it.

Curt

12. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    I grew up fishing the quil ceda. I used to live up by the elementary school on 51st and had a great section of river literally in my back yard. There was one deep pool in my neighbors property that was always good for a handful of SRC's after school. I use to explore all over that thing from I 5 down as well. Lots of good memories and good fish to be had back then. I actually caught a small chrome bright Atlantic salmon outta there while fishing for cutts in 2002. It was a bizarre fish, who knows where it came from, likely a net pen escapee but it gave me a fight to remember on my 4wt in a small pool. Used to fill with coho and chum every fall along with a handful of kings. A cool stream to observe as a curious kid. Watching those cutts dart out from under a log to attack my wooly buggers was always a blast.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I caught a lot of fish out of Pilchuck Creek. I almost fished the entire length in my life time. There were several areas that I just couldn't get to. But the fishing was very good away from the road.

14. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    The biggest thing I caught out of Quilceda was a canoe about 30 yrs ago! It was just floating downstream and was very well-used. No one was in sight or earshot so I towed it back to my rig with my kayak. I reported it to the police, put an ad in the Herald and hung up signs but no one claimed it. We used the heck out of it before we upgraded to a better one.

jwg and constructeur like this.
  15. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    and that's why ghost riding your canoe never caught on...

Matt Baerwalde likes this.