Quilcene area of MA 12 opens tomorrow

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by bigdood, Aug 15, 2013.

1. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +84 / 1
    Anybody headed out there? Thinking it could be fun to bring the yak out and try and get into a little somethin' somethin' on the fly. Any advice from prior years? Too early?
  2. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +249 / 1
    Didn't know it had a pink run.
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Stay away from the river mouth and you should be fine. If you get to close, just make sure you have your kevlar suit and motorcycle helmet on.
    Them Quillbillies can be an ornery bunch......
    constructeur and Gary Knowels like this.
  4. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +286 / 0
    Nice! Pressure on other beaches lightens up when they open the Killscene for business. Snag-bonk hatchery coho factory. No pinks required to make that place a zoo.
  5. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    It doesn't

Yeah, no desire to deal with a snagger shit show. Was in that area later in the year last year via kayak and didn't have to deal with the masses. Didn't get into anything but saw a ton rolling, wasn't sure if it was still too early to see much action there yet. Torn between there, chasing pinks/coho elsewhere, or a quick overniter backpack trip into Mildred Lakes or similar.
  6. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +199 / 0
    There are some nice cutts and silvers - when they show up. I stick to the area south of the marina, by the pilings.
  7. David Bowerman Member

Richmond Beach, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Most of what I've read about Quilcene silvers is their tendency for lockjaw as soon as they hit the bay. I've wanted to try it for years but never run into anyone who had much luck, despite all the rising fish.

BTW, the cutt in my avatar is a Quilcene fish...
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,595 / 2
    Lockjaw is an understatement
    bigdood likes this.
  9. Denny Active Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +46 / 0

I've fished in the Quilcene several years ago, and brought home some really nice coho that I had hooked in the mouth...

It was disgusting, though, how many people were obviously snagging fish. I remember this one dude that had a huge backpack he filled with salmon; he left with it, then came back later and filled it again.
  10. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    Let's ALL GO to Quilcene and SNAG fish!!!!! Share the joy! There WAS at time, when things like this didn't happen. Whose the bastards that trained their kids this way?....... what happened to my fishing world besides blabbermouths on the internet. Whine whine whine......
  11. Blktailhunter Active Member

Bainbridge Island, WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Though I have never done it, I have a buddy that does real, real well in the bay. You just have to leave your fly rod at home. He gets there at first light and looks for the jumpers. He then tosses cut plug herring at them. When the first light bite stops he switches to salmon roe under a float. Yep. Eggs and a float in the salt. Those fish can be caught if you are willing to switch it up. He launches at Seabeck and makes the drive across the canal.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    DFL, are you proposing a "Snag In"? If so, count me in. It's been 50 years since I've fished that way. I'll have to check and see if I have any solid fiberglass spinning rods.
    dryflylarry likes this.
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    It doesn't help that tribal members get to fish alongside recreational anglers there.
    First time I fished there, there were some tribal members legally snagging coho with trebles and filling up plastic garbage cans with 'em. I walked upstream where it was still crowded to the max with most sport anglers trying to legally get a coho to take their corky, and there was this tribal dude right in there snagging his fish with a weighted treble hook and heavy line, and just backing them up onto the bank.

I think everyone should go there at the peak of the run just to witness the spectacle, as a cultural experience.
  14. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Jim,
    You should start a tour business. You could make the circuit to all the know snag and flossfest sites.
    The Skok, Minter Creek, Quilcene etc....;)
    SF
  15. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Can I reserve a ticket? ;)
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Never been to Minter, and I've only fished the Killscene thrice! I fished upstream for trout once in the Skok, but avoid the salmon fishing there. I have acquaintances who fish the lower Skok, though, and they keep me informed.

I probably should go fish the Skok for Kings with a local dude I know who likes to fish there, but I don't like crowded rivers. I don't mind gear fishing for hatchery fish though, as long as I can avoid the mob scenes. Its a good way to catch some food and have a good time. I prefer casting spinners and spoons over drifting corkies, though. I have some spots that are decent for fly fishing for Coho and Chums, but I usually don't fly fish the hatchery runs in the popular water below hatcheries.

I know of some lesser know snagging spots where I could take the camera toting eco tourists and get 'em freaked out, and probably freak out the snaggers at the same time. The flossers out here are so good that they would hardly be noticeable.
    The really primo snagger tour would take place at night, and we'd have to sneak up on them. Blind 'em with camera flash, and then get out quick before their eyesight recovered and they started shooting.:eek: Back up on "jackhole crik," for example.
    You won't find a creek of that name on any map, though. (I gave it that nickname because an early settler named John Hole homesteaded the land near the river mouth in the area).
  17. ten80 Active Member

Anchorage, AK
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Occupy Quilcene!
    bigdood likes this.
  18. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    I've never fished the river there but is it worse than the Puyallup during the pink run?
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I've never fished for salmon in the Puke. The Killscene is a small river. The first time I fished it(was 3 days in a row) the hatchery Coho had just begun migrating up from the Bay en masse, and the word got out quick. On one long stretch of pools I fished, there were about 30 anglers, about 5 or 6 feet apart at the most, and some were bumping elbows.
    Next time I went back was the following year, and it was nearly as bad.
    The time after that on the river, snaggers and rude anglers crowding me out ruined it for me.
    I tried fishing off the mouth once from the shore (that would make it 4 times). I waded out in hip boots, saw a lot of fish, none of them biting. A guy in waders waded out past me and sort of corked me off from half of my casting area. A gauntlet of snaggers had lined up on the bank at the first run up (would be covered by Bay water on the top of a good high tide), and suddenly I felt like I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I left and went home, where I can usually fish from a boat, or only have to deal with fewer other anglers fishing the same stretch from the bank, at most, one every 15 or 20 feet. Sometimes you will see a small group of friends fishing together closer than that around here, but we usually try to give each other room to cast and retrieve without having to get some kind of a hogline rhythm going and casting over each others' lines.

Seems like the rudest anglers I see around here are from outside the area. Anglers that are used to the Skok scene, and probably the Puke, etc. They probably have gotten used to that kind of shit and now believe that it is normal, and practice it wherever they go, spreading the disease.

The hard core snaggers and poachers out here are a different story.
  20. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    I used to enjoy fishing the Puyallup. I caught my first steelhead the in 1968 and it was my home river.
    We never fished it for salmon, only steelies in the winter.
    It is a great place to get your rig broken into during salmon season. It has become a littered up shit hole that you won't catch me anywhere near any longer.
    Salmon will bite in that dirty water, but good luck with that. Trying to fish with 20 other dudes tossing 10 ft leaders and black corkies in the same hole is a complete joke.
    SF