Quinalt steelhead fly recommendations

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dirk Pitt, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Gonna do a walk in on the Quinalt on Dec 10th, and have never flyfished for steelhead. Anyone got any recommendations on flies for this river? Will be taking some egg patterns, but anything else would be helpful. Thanks. Bob.

2. NorthernExposure

NorthernExposure not bad for a yankee

Media:
    black egg sucking leeches, if you tie, this is definitely one to make yourself, i have never really liked store bought ESLs. I'd also bring a bunch of popsicles. just have bright and dark flies. in the 2-2/0 range. pretty simple

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

People catch steelhead on yarn all the time. Your fly selection isn't that important on any river.

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I have caught fish up there on Orange GP's. I would say the same flies work there as any other of the larger streams on the peninsula. You cant go wrong with a black, pink, or purple string leech. Movement, Movement, Movement is what your looking for in your fly. Yes yarn moves too! There are some good walk in spots, but the river is ever changing and that sweet spot can be high and dry now. Give a report when you get back.

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

ESL's in purple/black/olive/chartruese bugger...stick with pink/red eggs on those leeches. This is what I have been told by fishing friends in the area....never have fished there for winters.

6. michaeldeg

michaeldeg New Member

early december on the Quinalt?
    do you mean cooks creek? I have fly fished cooks creek as well as quinalt river. I usually wait until the wild fish arrive before fly fishing the quinalt. Early december is usually the peek for the small hatchery steelhead entering cooks creek. The steelhead usually range from 5 to 10 pounds, so use size 2 to 6 flies. Nymphing techniques work very well. Although I would agree that egg sucking leaches usually work in all steelhead rivers, I have done quite poorly at the creek using egg sucking leaches.

I have done quite well using egg patterns, as well as prawn patterns. The colors I tend to stick with there are very dull, dirty colors. Very pale looking colors, pale yellow pink is one of my favorites. You will loose massive amounts of flies at cooks creek, so bring lots of flies.

Later on in Feb, March on the main river egg sucking leaches and intruder type flies work better.

7. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dude, be careful where you are fishing on the Quinalt as you may find yourself on tribal land . If you fish below Lake Quinalt, then you will need to have a Tribal Guide or you will find yourself in deep $#!%. They can take all your gear, fine you, lock you up, etc.... I highly doubt their guides are good "fly guides" as they mostly gear and bait fish from what I know.

If you fish above the Lake, you need to make sure you are on the National Park Property or in WA State area. Check your reg book. There is a Ranger Station right next to Lake Quinalt Lodge, you should check things out there before fishing. Also, the Lodge is a great place to stay.... they rent out nice motor boats. You need a special license for fishing the lake, available at the store by the Lodge...

Have fun. Stay out of trouble and catch some big ones!!!

Jason

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My god,you finelly said something that makes sense. Goody for you.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Jim

9. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Now Jim, he was only being helpful! I have fished the lower Quinalt for years, yes I know it's tribal guide only, this is the first for me using fly gear, and the first walk-in. We are going to Cook creek as well. Anil over at Puget sound fly co. turned us on to egg patterns, so I think we are set. Thanks for all the help, guys. Will post report and pics after we get back. Bob.

10. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Just figured I'd mention that some of the Quinalt guides are excelent fly fishers.
    Have fun,
    Jim

11. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    Uncle Jimmy, which guides are fly fishers? Like I said, this is the first experience for me fly fishing the Quinalt, always used gear for this river, but am now hooked on fly fishing! We are going out with a guide named Angie, who was recommended to us by Letty Potter. Don't know anything about her, but if Letty recommends her, it's good enough for me. Bob.

12. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    There is a fly shop in Port Angeles that may have some good guide info.

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Bob,
    I know Clay Butler guides flyfishers on the Quinault. I don't think he guides as much as he used to. I think I heard he is a Police Chief somewhere now. I believe Robbin Rhoades may guide flyfishers also.
    I didn't know Angie was a Quinault tribal guide. Here is Angie's website.
    (non sponsor direct link deleted)
    The fly shop in Port Angeles is Waters West.
    Brian

14. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Clay Buttler is awesome, I went out with him last year for steelhead. Although I didn't hook anything it was a lot of fun fishing with him. If he was not a fishing guide he could be a story teller. He used to hunt people down for the CIA and is full of great stories, he also has this deep voice that is impossible to duplicate. It's worth paying him just to hang out with him!

15. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I second that vote.......if you want access to some very good water and choose to hire an awesome guide on the Q, Clay is first class and a freakin' funny dude to boot. We did a couple trips with him when I had my TV show and he was awesome on camera and put us onto good fish every time out. Great guy....he also was the guest tracking expert on a Sasquatch TV show last year! Like Ibn said, he is a master raconteur.....he can almost out-BS me...............;)

Although I wouldn't pay him just to hang out...... :rofl:

16. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Mingo,
    You used to have a TV show? I want all episodes on DVD, to watch non stop from now until trout season opens again on the creeks. I will do nothing else.

17. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Stonefish,

I'm almost positive the Angie that is being referred to as the Quinault guide is not Angie (non sponsor link deleted) In fact, after reading some of the stuff on her page, I'm sure she would be offended that she was being associated with tribal fishing. She expresses pretty strong anti-tribal feelings.

18. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    Let me throw in another name, though this individual is not a tribal guide and I have not been out with him but only spoken to him. I don't know if he is licensed by the tribe to fish their section of the river. He did offer half-day as well as full-day trips the last time we spoke.

His name is Roger Blain and he is a retired NPS ranger with a flyfishing orientation. I picked up his name while looking around up there about eighteen months ago and have spoken to him over the phone a couple of times. He seems very knowledgeable, is well spoken of by locals I've talked to, and he's been very willing to share up-to-the moment fishing news when I've called, which has been helpful when you consider how long a trip it is for most people to go up there.

Here's contact information for him:

rogerblain@earthlink.net

non sponsor link deleted

19. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Yea Bob,
    Clay would be my recomendation, or Robin, and no Definitly not the same Angie, Clay used to be head cop out there and a us marshal but is no longer, guides full time now and is VERY booked, good luck, fun fishing
    Jim

20. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    BBD,
    I was hoping for Dirks sake it wasn't the same Angie. The fishing godess does have quite a reputation. As I had mentioned, I didn't recall her being a Quinault tribal guide. Based on my past readings of her website, I'm not sure she would ever be offended by much of anything. Sorry for the confusion in posting the wrong info. No harm intended to either Angie. I'm sure if Letty recommended Angie, Dirk will have a fine trip.

Uncle Jimmy,
    The last time I spoke to Clay was a while back. He had just gotten a new spey rod. Someone had told me he was was the Police Chief at another reservation. If he's now guiding full time, thats great to hear. Thanks for the update.
    Brian