Quinalt steelhead fly recommendations

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Dirk Pitt, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    You had me going for a minute there, Stonefish! I don't think they are one and the same, although it might have been interesting to cracker one off! Thank you all for your recommendations. Robbin is the quide who had a client early this year nail a 30lb steelhead, if memory serves. Won't see any that big at Cook creek, I just hope to get in to some fish, I'm tying flies like crazy for this trip for both me and a buddy, so we will see what happens. Bob.

2. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yeah include me.....is your wife in it too....bikini style (JK). serious i'm interested.... as is Zen. Zen congrats on 2,000 post .....I don't know where I missed it exactly....Keep it up love hearing fromya and your input.

3. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    Back to the topic at hand. Dirk, How do you know the river's going to be in good shape on Dec. 10th? If at all possible I would make your trip plans flexible. Maybe around Dec. 10th if the river looks good. This is something far more important than fly selection.

4. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Sixfinger,

Not trying to steal Dirk's thread nor answer. However, I do believe that I can provide one. Since tribal walk-in trips with reputable guides fill up rather quickly during the peak hatchery returns, generally you book a trip in advance and hope the water conditions are favorable when you arrive. If not, you usually get a call from your guide indicating the trip should be re-scheduled.

You certainly are correct about fly choice as Cupo mentioned earlier. If water conditions are good (and this is a rainforest so the water can blow out at any time) fly pattern is rarely an issue.

5. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    This Angie is Letty's sister.

Clay's brother Harry is still on the tribal police force. We used to call him Dirty Harry. They used to call me "Taholah Vice".

Another guide that's a great for wild stories and a great time is Inky Charley. I wonder if he ever has any openings though.

6. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt New Member

Media:
    I have fished with Inky, and his son Tandy several times in the past, Inky got me my first steelhead early this year. I don't think he does walk ins at his age anymore, but he knows the Quinalt like nobody else, his son as well. Thanks for the assist, BDD, as you stated, trips are scheduled in advance, usually at least a month, so if the weather sucks, live with it, if the river is blown, reschedule, thems the rules. I'll cross my fingers, click my heels three times, and say "there's no river like the Quinalt, there's no river like the Quinalt, there's no river like the Quinalt", drink to the fish gods, and we'll see what happens! Lol. Bob.

7. sixfinger

sixfinger Ryan Haseman

Media:
    makes sense! I' ve never used a guide so I didnt realize the scheduling lead time. Hope you have fun!