R H Park Auburn, WASH Fly Reel

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by 29guy, Jul 20, 2013.

1. 29guy

29guy Member

Today at the Anacortes Ship Wreck Day I picked up a fly reel marked: R H Park Mfg. Co., Auburn Wash.

The reel is fully machined and anodized aluminum. It appears to have been red but now very sun faded. I guess it to be more or less a size 6/7. It is missing the original drag and spool fastening assembly.

I did not find any info on the web and hoped a member could shed some light the R H Park fly reels.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

If you can't get no satisfaction here try the Old Reel Collectors Association forum (Reel Talk) here http://orca-online.org/

As interesting as the reel may be it also appears to be spooled with a silk line. Silk lines can often be reconditioned and are a great match for some old rods.
    Reconditioning is simple and can be rewarding. Go here for information and instructions http://www.overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk

If you are not interested in messing with the line consider send it to someone who fishes old rods, someone like, oh, I don't know, me.:rolleyes:

TC

3. 29guy

29guy Member

Tim,

Thanks for the links, I'll give them a try.

I was hoping somebody locally would know of the reel since it was made in Auburn.

Loren

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

29guy,

I have one of those reels. Mine is not red though. It's was just left in the raw aluminum finish when it was made. They're well made reels with a silent brake mechanism. I also found mine at an antique dealer's shop several years ago. I bought it as my family settled in Kent (Auburn's big brother!) back in the 1890's.
    It's a rare reel and I was not successful in learning much about it through my research. Tim's appropriate suggestion was the ORCA group, and I tried there but didn't get too far in finding anyone with info'. No one from the reel threads on the bamboo fly rod forum knew anything about the reel either. I'll try and find some photos of it and post them here as well.
    Keep me posted if you're any more successful than me in learning about the company and these reels.

5. 29guy

29guy Member

Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I have not had much time to research the reel other than hitting the web a few times. The only thing I was able to track down was an Ebay sale for one a few months ago. No real reel info was provided in the listing.

If ORCA did not work for you then when I find a block of time I will see if the Patent office track leads to anything. My reel says "Patent Pending", but that may or may not be true and who knows who the patent filer was. It's a long shot and will take time to do a good search.

Love to see photos of yours if you get the chance.

Regards,

Loren

6. Greg Armstrong

Can't say that I was real thorough in my research through ORCA, so you may want to try there again to see if anyone has some info' on it.
    It was probably four years ago that I tried, so it may be worthwhile to do so again, as Tim suggested.
    I'll try to find the photos I have (I've changed computers since then and they're not stored on my hard drive now). If not I'll take some new shots and post here eventually.

7. Greg Armstrong

RHParkscript.jpg RHParkfront-good.jpg RHParkback.jpg Loren,
    I'll attempt to link the photos I promised. Hope this works;
    RHParkscript.jpg

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

There a silver R.H. parks listed on E-bay right now,owner claims it to be a rare find.