R.P.B.

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by GAT, Jan 31, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

This is a pattern from my column in FlyFishing magazine published in the mid-90s. It was originated by Rick Fielder and he used it during the damselfly hatches on Crane Prairie in Oregon. His attempt was to meld a Woolly Bugger with a Carey Special -- two very effective stillwater patterns. You can tie it in a variety of colors but olive has always worked best for me.

John Stewart and I tried it at Crane and honestly, never had that much luck with the guy. However, the pattern worked quite well in other stillwaters in Central Oregon.

IMG_1500.jpg

Materials:

Hook: TMC 5212 or TMC 2312 (Rick liked the dry fly 5212 hook because he felt it gave the pattern more action, I prefer the 2312), sizes 6-12
    Thread: Olive or black, your choice of size
    Tail: Olive marabou blood quill, extends the same distance as the hook length, two strands of pearlescent Krystal Flash, same length as marabou
    Rib: 3 strands of fine pearlescent mylar tinsel twisted into a single rope and counter wrapped through the body (I'm not a fan of using mylar tinsel so I use fine silver wire instead)
    Body: 2-3 peacock herl
    Hackle: Dyed olive Chinese ringneck pheasant rump feathers, with two short strands of the pearl Krystal Flash tied in on each check and cut short. Optional collar feather colors are dyed black or natural

Krystal Flash was fairly new to the market when this pattern was originated so a lot of tyers were using it with their patterns. Personally, I don't know if it adds anything to the pattern or not as far as fooling fish. I normally tie a few strands in at the tail and forget the cheek bit.

2. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I love seeing all these OR-centric stillwater patterns. Many elements and similar themes in the tying show up in the WA-originated patterns (a good stillwater pattern has certain characteristics, right?) but the subtle differences are interesting. Thanks for posting!

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Damnit, I'm never going to get my boxes stocked if you folks keep putting up cool patterns for me to add to them!

Kidding of course... Cool tie. I'll have to whip up a few.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I haven't had a lot of success using the pattern in Western Oregon and coastal stillwaters. I'm not sure why. Normally when a stillwater patterns looks like something edible in one stillwater, it will carry to others. Of course I don't do very well with damselfly nymphs in the coastal lakes so maybe the RPB does represent a damselfly nymph in fisheries where the trout are really keen on the bugs.

At a private trout lake in Central Oregon we couldn't keep the trout off the pattern. Whatever it represents is evidently not prevalent in all stillwaters. Still, I haven't tried the pattern in all the lakes I fish... yet, so that's the reason I decided to add a few more to my fly boxes... you never know when or where the fly might be the hot ticket.

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

As olive and brown will most likely be the most popular colors were I first plan to fish this Spring, I tied some RPBs in brown with a natural feather.

IMG_1514.jpg

I'm using Hans' technique for tying in the collar feather first. It takes a while to learn to work around the feather but I like the final results.

troutpocket likes this.
  6. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Media:
    This tie reminds me of Islander's Camo Carey which has been very effective for me. I'll whip some of these up and give them a go.

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

As far as I can tell, there's something wrong with me. I can't leave well enough alone.

Hopefully, in the next two weeks I'll be going to a coastal lake. I've done well with a brown Turbo Leech at the lake. Soooooooo... I decided to mix a brown Turbo Leech with the RPB.. kind'a.

IMG_1561.jpg

Nick Clayton likes this.