Rabbits and Gundogs

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Be Jofus G, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Any one know any reputable beagle breeders in the state. I'm looking for a tick marked gundog with field trial bloodlines, not a pretty showdog. Most of the ones I've found have all been house pets or had no real record of their lines.

2. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    From all the training books I've been reading...it's not the bloodlines that make a great hunting dog...it is the handler and his ability and time he spends bringing the natural instincts of the dog to the surface. Do some reading, find a good pup, and then train to your willingness.

3. Be Jofus G

Media:
    I've raised and trained beagles since I was a kid and bloodlines do make a difference. Unfortunatly, those natural instincts you speak of are being bred out of these dogs by the backyard breeder, house pet and show dog crowd. When was the last time you saw a show champ that was also a field champ? Any how, that is a whole different thread. I'll stick with what has worked for me the last 20 years and find a real gun dog with parents that are proven hunters and or Trial Champs. I expect perfection out of my pups. You may get that out of a well bred pup. Your odds go down the further you stray from the good blood lines IMHO. :)

4. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I have a friend that lives back east, (like Tennessee) that hunts beagles. So if you want I will contact him and you guys can put things together.
    Sent me a PM, ya got my #

5. Be Jofus G

Media:
    Cool thanks Gary. I'll keep that in mind. I'd prefer to find someone local but if that doesn't work out, I'll definatly let you know. :beer2:

6. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

Media:
    Andrew, nature and nurture have their place. Always buy the best puppy you can afford. No, you're not guarenteed an awesome hunter, but you're stacking the odds in your favor that all the fundamentals are there- healthy, correct confirmation, biddable, driven... And in the case of labradors which I most familiar with, marking ability, memory, the ability to handle pressure during training.....all of these are bred in to them- some lines are better than others. Sure "natural instincts" probably exist in any dog, but will that dog actually work for you? Don't mess around, get a well bred dog.

7. Be Jofus G

Media:
    iagree Well said.

8. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

Be jofus G, check your pm's.