Rabbits and Gundogs

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Be Jofus G, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Any one know any reputable beagle breeders in the state. I'm looking for a tick marked gundog with field trial bloodlines, not a pretty showdog. Most of the ones I've found have all been house pets or had no real record of their lines.
  2. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    From all the training books I've been reading...it's not the bloodlines that make a great hunting dog...it is the handler and his ability and time he spends bringing the natural instincts of the dog to the surface. Do some reading, find a good pup, and then train to your willingness.
  3. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    I've raised and trained beagles since I was a kid and bloodlines do make a difference. Unfortunatly, those natural instincts you speak of are being bred out of these dogs by the backyard breeder, house pet and show dog crowd. When was the last time you saw a show champ that was also a field champ? Any how, that is a whole different thread. I'll stick with what has worked for me the last 20 years and find a real gun dog with parents that are proven hunters and or Trial Champs. I expect perfection out of my pups. You may get that out of a well bred pup. Your odds go down the further you stray from the good blood lines IMHO. :)
  4. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I have a friend that lives back east, (like Tennessee) that hunts beagles. So if you want I will contact him and you guys can put things together.
    Sent me a PM, ya got my #
  5. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    Cool thanks Gary. I'll keep that in mind. I'd prefer to find someone local but if that doesn't work out, I'll definatly let you know. :beer2:
  6. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
    Andrew, nature and nurture have their place. Always buy the best puppy you can afford. No, you're not guarenteed an awesome hunter, but you're stacking the odds in your favor that all the fundamentals are there- healthy, correct confirmation, biddable, driven... And in the case of labradors which I most familiar with, marking ability, memory, the ability to handle pressure during training.....all of these are bred in to them- some lines are better than others. Sure "natural instincts" probably exist in any dog, but will that dog actually work for you? Don't mess around, get a well bred dog.
  7. Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Washington
    iagree Well said.
  8. Josh Benjamin Member

duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Be jofus G, check your pm's.