raft floors

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Manimal, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Manimal

Manimal Member

does anyone else have issues with their inflatable floors in a self bailer? i have a vortex pvc floor and just cant get it pumped hard enough to be comfortable to stand on. would 3" ethafoam work instead?

2. shawn k

shawn k Member

The only raft floors that are hard enough to stand on are maravias all the other one pretty much suck.

3. Manimal

Manimal Member

what about putting in an aftermarket high pressure floor made for a tender? any thoughts how this would effect tracking?

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    What about putting an aftermarket floor covering, say a thin section of smooth line-x covered plywood?

5. Manimal

Manimal Member

ed, i was thinking more like ethafoam in a one inch layer right overtop. or simply taking the stock floor out and replacing with a highpressure one. im just not sure how the fit will effect the bottom when drifting.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    No experience with foam, sorry. Just thinking a thin rigid board atop the inflated floor ads protection and spreads weight. Feet should not "sink" into the soft floor. Best of luck.

7. saffman

saffman Member

I have had suspended plywood floors in the past. Actually works great. Cut holes/slots in strategic spots around the edge so you can suspend the plywood sections from frame or d rings as needed. Suspend so they just sit on the floor. Be sure to sand the sections after cutting to fit and then paint or finish with a waterproof stain. You can roll on a cheap "home use" bedliner product or just use the no slip sandpaper tape to mitigate the slippery factor. I wouldn't use them in big whitewater though as they can create a foot entrapment hazard in the event of a flip. If you must use them in big whitewater just run another batch of straps down to your drain holes in the floor to keep the plywood sections from popping up in a flip. Adds a little weight but a cheap easy fix.

8. Manimal

Manimal Member

good advice