Raft rod storage ideas

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Stonefly23

Stonefly23 New Member

Good idea's fella's....

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    When I was searching for info on how to go about fabricating rod tubes I found this thread. Now that I'm done, I'll just chime in here and offer up how I went about doing what I using PVC conduit for stowing fully-rigged single handers on the rubber floaty. Thanks to those who posted their projects previously.

http://unaccomplishedangler.com/2014/01/rafts-and-rod-tubes/

3. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

After I did all my painful bending with a heat gun (I couldn't get good bends without first filling the pipe with sand which was an extra time consuming step) a guy (who builds swimming pools for a living) pointed out flexible PVC to me. It's much more expensive than the straight lengths ($25 versus $5), but still not that expensive if it saves you an hour per rod holder. Looks like a swimming pool or spa supply place would be the place to start looking.

[​IMG]

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Flex-P...zmap=BX95150&gclid=CLPy04-z7LsCFQlgMgodVSYAGA

Jerry Daschofsky and Ron McNeal like this.
  4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I wonder what kind of strength it has. A guy could accidentally step on PVC and it would likely be fine. Would this stuff be the same? Or would it be more like plastic tubing and crush?

5. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Itchy Dog likes this.
  6. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

I want to build the same rod holder as luke but looking at the pictures i am asking my self if there are any issues changing out rods while on the water. Luke is your front seat fisherman able to reach down and pull the rod out while moving? I was thinking about enlarging the cut to maybe 18inches to allow for access.

7. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Actually, no. In order to remove a rod, you need to be out of the boat and pull straight back. This also prevents broken tips as well. I thought about this when designing the cut and decided I wanted the added protection as a lot of people use the tube as a "step" when entering/exiting the raft, so I was fearful of making the cut too large. That being said, I think you could get away with making it larger and still have your rods be safe, you just have to find the sweet spot. Let me know what you come up with!

8. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    You might also consider a larger cutout and breaking your Spey rods in half. That's what I've done for the long rods just to keep the length of the storage tube shorter. This way the rods can be retrieved from inside the boat if need be. Nearly always, however, I'd be pulled up on a gravel bar in order to employ the Spey rods.

9. TonyZ

TonyZ Member

I took a 4" piece of septic drain pipe (the white stuff with the per drilled round holes) and cut 1/3 of it off on the table saw, then zip tied it to the frame. I made keepers with double sided Velcro.

10. grandma grann

grandma grann Member

Electrical conduit is designed to be heated and bent. Just use a simple gas torch to heat it, the only problem with this the conduit will turn a brown color but you can paint it after heating. It might work better for kind of project. It's a fast simple way to get the project done if it gets too hot and starts to catch on fire it will not affect the rigidity of the PVC it's designed for that kind of heat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    PVC pipe, bent with my electrician buddies heating blanket used for that exact task. Turned out great. The strap closest to the camera holding the rod holder passes through a couple of slots cut out on the bottom of the pipe so as not to block rod access. Planning on cutting the opening back past that middle strap and doing the same so rod access is easier from inside the boat on the move.

xIMG_0803.JPG

Attached Files:

Jerry Daschofsky and birdman413 like this.
  12. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Media: