Raft Stove Needed

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by drotsma, Sep 14, 2011.

1. drotsma

drotsma New Member

I have a 14ft raft used for steelheading and camping and want to find a good small or backpacking stove to keep in the camping kit in the raft. I have a folding Coleman that just does not heat water for coffee and maybe chili for the gang quickly. It takes 15minutes to boil a quart of water. Any suggestions for something light and compact? Thank Don

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    It would be hard to beat the MSR Reactor for heating liquids.

3. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

On the last trip I had my MSR Whisper lite go head to head against my buddies Optimus Crux and his blew mine away on boil time, weight and fuel effeciency. That will be the next stove I purchase without a doubt. He also mentioned that on a previous trip he was able to control the heat enough to cook pancakes.

4. dcm

dcm Member

Media:
    Do you have a preference for liquid fuel v. canister stove?

I have this one: http://www.rei.com/product/660004/snow-peak-giga-power-stove-manual and I have been completely happy (even impressed) with its size and performace for the price. I haven't come close to using every stove out there, but I've used a few and I always seem to come back to the Giga Power.

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    noooo.... never turn ur back on the alllmight whisper light. how dare u disgrace its name!

ok i admit there is some other good stoves... but i<3 whisperlight.

btw, i can teach u how to cook pizza, pancakes, cake, etc on a whisperlight. basically, u prime the stove, let out the pressure from the bottle, relight it with opnly 2-3 pumps of pressure, then take ur windscreen and make it into a burger king crown that ur pot sits on (3-4 inches higher then normal) then you build a small twig fire on the lid. you can have some really great results with this method for low heat baking.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If you just want to boil water for coffee or heat up chili or soup, Jetboil is tough to beat and extremely convenient. Everything packs into the pot/canister, even the fuel can. Lightweight, low bulk, and fuel efficient. Did I mention the convenience?

Sg

7. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    Yea, i would recomend a jet boil to if u are just heatin water down and dirty. will fit in the boat REAL easy.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I used to be a jetboil hater until using a buddy's almost exclusively for 5 days. That thing boils water in probably half the time my stove at home does. It's incredibly efficient. I hear they're kind of a bitch to cook on - but haven't had much experience in that area.

9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Quit being wusses. Just carry a real stove with you. ;)

[​IMG]

10. drotsma

drotsma New Member

Thanks for the ideas and input guys. I have at least narrowed it down and now off to REI to see how far my money goes. Jerry, I tried carrying 3 different real stoves and kept getting bitched out buy my coffee drinking buddies. They just need to start drinking beer in the morning and get over it. Thanks everyone. Don

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL, was just giving you crap. Thankfully, when I ran the cargo boat for a whitewater crew, I got to carry whatever I wanted (since it was my boat and my gear). Customers never bitched about food or coffee. :) I will toss that 2 burner explorer under the seat of my driftboat, and my poly propane tank weighs less full then most small metal tanks do empty. :)

On another note. Try the Everest 2 burner stove by Camp Chef. Small, lightweight, can use small propane or bulk tanks, and has 2 20,000 BTU burners. So will cook up anything just fine and get coffee going in no time.

12. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
  13. slim

slim Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!

14. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Media:
    +1 on the Jet Boil - especially for coffee in the morning or quick heat and eat type meals. I have the french press attachment for the Jet Boil and it makes coffee as easy it gets.

15. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    Jerry, I love the bulldog! You dont see many of them as fishing buddies though.

16. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    I really like my old school MSR GK Multi-fuel expedition stove with kerosene for boiling water. It used to make very short work of boiling 2 qts of water from snow. For cooking, I have a neat little propane 2 burner Kangaroo Kitchen. It isn't real compact but smaller than a Coleman. It bakes, barbeques (and smokes with hickory or mesquite chips), boils, or fries with a griddle, then the base and top become your wash basins for doing the dishes.

17. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Herc's a great dog. A royal shit on the ground, but great boat dog.

[​IMG]

He's Joe's dog (guy on right), one of my soldiers from PHWFF.

18. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Man, talk about a blast from the past. Yeah, those were great little stoves. The Kangaroo Kitchen. Man, talk about old school. Do they even still make them? I don't think I've seen one since the 80's. Were neat if you had all the accessories.

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I still carry a Campingaz stove that is just a head with three wings that clips onto the blue fuel canister. I'm sure I should have some more modern stove than that, but it too nests into the pots that I cook in and weighs so very little. When I go out with the family I'll bring a bigger stove for cooking of full meals. Solo or with just a buddy the small stove is fine for a one pot meal.

Jerry, which one of the three of those ugly mugs is the bulldog? That is a good photo of the trio in the boat!

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    LOL Ed, not sure which is which. :)

Truthfully speaking, I only bring a big stove IF I have multiple people in the boat. But even then, I have one of those Mr Buddy heaters that's in a cage that I can flip over and use as a stove (it's designed that way actually). But rarely ever use it. Most of the time I'm usually just fishing. Bring a sack lunch. The pic above of me cooking on the bank was a fluke. My injury (I'm permanently disabled, so flares up occasionally) flared up on our trip. So when we got off the river the day before, I was hurting bad, and had to take some pain meds and crash. So had that dinner I was going to cook for the guys that night. So I just tossed it into a cooler, tossed in a stove and tank, and made shore lunch that day. That's an EXCEPTION not a rule. I prefer to just fish from sun up to sun down during salmon season. Especially since the days are shorter anyways.