Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

This thread is a meant to be a more proper home for civil discourse regarding various viewpoints on carrying firearms while flyfishing, as opposed to gang tackling the poor guy who was asking for holster advice on another thread.

So here is the question:

Is is it ever reasonable ever for someone to carry a firearm while fly fishing? Why or why not? Justify your answer.

2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    I usually kill people with my bare hands.

Usually.

Lugan, prestonco, rustybee and 11 others like this.
  3. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Whitey wins.

Bill Aubrey, dfl and Jason Hoffman like this.
  4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    It's reasonable in the U.S. whenever a citizen feels like it. It's a protected Constitutional right. No other reason is needed. So I wouldn't question anyone's right to do so, but I personally think anyone carrying as protection from cougars or wolves is out of touch with the concept of reasonable risk.

Cougars aren't likely to attack except by ambush that I'll never know with any forewarning. And I don't expect to be attacked by wolves under any circumstances, having once inadvertently kicked a group of 5 from their day bed area one time. Grizzly bears are another matter, but then there is the whole problem of actually using a firearm effectively in a bear attack situation.

I don't own a .44 mag or heavier handgun, and if I did, it would probably be more effective as a noisemaker than a life defense weapon. And I haven't found an effective way to carry a shotgun while fly fishing. So I talk to the bears while hiking through brush or thick forest, use my whistle if I see a bear, carry pepper spray just in case, and am reconciled that fishing in bear country includes the limited risk of becoming bear scat.

Sg

dryflylarry, Bill Aubrey, jwg and 3 others like this.
  5. DanielOcean

DanielOcean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    This forum is for positive conversations. Not heated debates.

Jason Hoffman likes this.
  6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Might as well piss into the wind and hope to stay dry. Probably have the same amount of success as asking for a calm thread on this topic.

I suppose there is a first time for everything. And WFF is better than most places as far as having people who can keep a level head on the subject of guns and understanding both sides.

Still...I wouldn't bet my own money on it happening.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Is it to early to ask about popcorn.

Jim Riggins, enlightened, dfl and 4 others like this.
  8. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I'm not opposed to carrying a handgun when fishing the basin lakes.

9. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

Chased by vicious local pitbull on NF Stilly.
    Interrupting 2 tweakers breaking into rigs (hadn't reached mine yet) at WDFW lot on the Sky.
    Watched/followed by weird guy on the Cedar.

Never had to draw, but thankful I was exercising my right to carry in each of those instances.

I have since moved on to other fisheries where these things are less likely to happen, but still carry.

Bill Aubrey and PT like this.
  10. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I carry ALL the time, where legal. Why would I not carry just because I'm fishing? The Second Amendment allows me to "keep and bear arms." My training and CWP's allow me to carry concealed. WA State allows me to open-carry where legal, should I desire. It's a personal preference; my preference is to carry. I also have life & fire insurance (haven't needed them); I carry spare tires (haven't needed them); I let family know where I'm going (so far I've always made it back home). My point is: Stuff happens & none of it is planned or scheduled. I reckon I'm still a Boy Scout . . . I adhere to "Be prepared." However, I'll condemn no one should their preference be to the contrary; heck, I'd even help them if help is needed.

11. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

It is unreasonable for fools, fanatics, hotheads, neophytes and minors to carry guns while flyfishing under any circumstances because they are the most likely to hurt themselves and others.

I think it's reasonable to bring a gun while flyfishing in WA in order to shoot it, away from other people. However, it's highly unlikely I would carry a gun in my waders or in a holster under my fishing vest for defensive purposes, which may be a noble idea, but is laughably unrealistic and impractical for vast majority. I would keep any firearm in my backpack until I found a nice place to squeeze off a few rounds and then put it back.

I would advise most people not to bother carrying a gun while flysfishing in WA unless it's essential. If it's essential, then I might advise them to fish elsewhere or go in a group.

doublespey likes this.
  12. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

How about Alaska or Montana?

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  13. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

So, you carry a gun and it makes you feel better. Have you ever had to brandish it out of necessity? Do you go shooting between casts?

14. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    I am a tree hugging, bleeding heart but I have no issues with any kind of carrying at all. I carry on trips occasionally if things or places seem sketch. There are enough crazies out there that I feel it is totally valid.
    Proper training, a realistic outlook, and common sense are the key prerequisites.

15. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Have you ever had to brandish, point or shoot your weapon at a "crazy"?

16. fly-by

fly-by Active Member

The objective is not to shoot something or someone. It is to recreate freely knowing that if you needed to protect yourself, you could.

17. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:

Seconded. If I had the skrill I would get a pistol and license for cc.

Ron McNeal and Jason Hoffman like this.
  18. Jason Hoffman

Jason Hoffman Member

I stopped going to the cedar after hearing reports of dog attacks, tweaker confrontations and a cougar staredown (in order of decreasing probability). Its just not that great a fishery to deal with the hassles. There are other options just as close without the same headaches.

19. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

The bears seem pretty tame in Alaska.

20. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thankfully no sir, When I feel a situation is potentially awkward I would rather leave or avoid an interaction. The piece is for worst case scenarios not a first reaction. I am not an internet tough guy, just a dude who enjoys fly fishing and target practice. My weapon of choice for weird situations...if I have to use one would be my camera.