Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I prefer to use lethal ass gas , my whole body is a chemical weapons factory!!!

2. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

I advise you to stop wearing your seatbelt unless it's essential. If it's essential, then I might advise you to drive elsewhere.

The point is, you carry for what might happen, not whats planned.

Bill Aubrey, PT, Rob Hardman and 5 others like this.
  3. scottybs

scottybs Active Member

Home Page:
    It's comical how upset people become over these threads. If you don't like firearms, don't carry them. If you do like firearms, carry them in a legal, mature fashion. I can't stand the anti-gun crowd just as much as the radical "I carry a gun because I'm tough" type. Both groups, get the F*(K over yourselves.

4. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Funny thing is, I've never once carried while fishing or felt the need, but I do take offence to anyone infringing upon my rights. Scottybs has the right answer.

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Mr. Spot, Not that I owe you an answer, but yes, I have pulled before (I've never "brandished," nor would I.) and me having both a gun, the proficiency to draw & use one made the difference. As for "is carrying essential?" My life is ESSENTIAL; I will safeguard that if/when necessary and I'll continue to carry the proper tool to do so. And I suggest that you add situational awareness to your list of "prerequisites."

Bill Aubrey, Ed Call and chewydog like this.
  6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:

I'm with Whitey on this one
    For the most part I'm a bare knuckles kind of guy unless I have my kids then I need my weapons to hold a SpongeBob fishing rod and a pack of Capri suns

Gary Knowels and Mark Kraniger like this.
  7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Just to be clear. I am not anti-gun. If anything, this discussion is making my trigger finger itch. It really has little to do with fishing, so I was not expecting it. Nevertheless, it was thrown out and I am interested in all these views.

If someone carries a gun while flyfishing in WA just because it's their right, then so be it. However, I hear that and it makes me curious to dig deeper. Could that truly be a reason in and of itself?

Here is a list of all the reasons I can think of why I would choose to carry a gun while fishing:
    1. It's part of my culture, tradition, upbringing, education and/or generation.
    2. I am more comfortable with a gun.
    3. I fear for my life/safety from the risk posed by animal attacks.
    4. I fear for my life/safety from the risk posed by human attacks.
    5. I want to shoot my gun.
    6. I want to hurt myself.
    7. I want to hurt someone else.
    8. I want to kill something.
    9. I want to destroy property.
    10. I want to protect my property from theft or vandalism.
    11. I want to make a point or political statement.
    12. I want to intimidate someone.
    13. I want to impress someone.
    14. I need it to plug a halibut or shark.
    15. I bet my buddy my gun on who would get biggest fish and I need to have it with me in case he wins.
    The reason(s) one carries a gun to fish has everything to do with whether or not that's a good choice. If your only reason to carry while fishing is because it's your right, then it should be your friends' right to tease you like there is no tomorrow and hopefully you are man enough to relish it instead of shooting them.

weiliwen likes this.
  8. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

I have been fly fishing for over 40 years and I have never carried a firearm while fly fishing. If I was in Alaska in a Brown Bear area I probably would think about it, like a 44 Mag. I personally don't carry firearms with me unless I'm hunting or on the range practicing my shooting. I have a couple of very good friends that carry firearms with them all the time. I don't judge them but I just don't carry firearms with me unless I have a reason (hunting) or out sighting in or practicing or fun. When I was younger I did a lot of back packing and some mtn climbing and I never carried a firearm unless I was hunting.

9. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Alright, cool. So, tell us the story. I agree your life is essential to you. I feel the same about mine. What's the difference between pulled and brandished?

10. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I would advise most people to not to worry so much about what other anglers might have in their pockets or under their jacket.

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Let me preface my reply with the obvious facts, I like guns. I have a lot of guns. I reload for fun. I have more shit than I will ever use when it comes to guns.

But...

I never carry when I go fishing. First of all I fish lakes 99.9 percent of the time. The wildest beast I've encountered was a snake (non-venomous). I doubt a bear, wolf, cougar, or other predator will attack me where I fish. I don't leave my car where tweakers have been known to frequent. I try really hard to avoid trouble. IF someone wanted my stuff, take it, I have more. Leave me and my truck, I'll even give you my cash, not my cards. Problems solved. No need to carry.

I don't go to places I think I need to carry. But if I have to I carry...45cal, 230grains, spot frickin' on aim. No questions asked.

12. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

I hear you. I would say, worry about what's in their heads first, pockets second. You meet someone in the wild; they are armed or don't look right. What's the first thing you do? It's not draw a weapon, it's figure out their intentions. That's what makes this thread interesting.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

The thought never crossed my mind until I read it on this site.

Lugan and dryflylarry like this.
  14. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I usually am always carrying. However, if I want to kill someone quick, I just have my wife nag them to death.

15. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  16. Jim Ficklin

Sorry, no story-telling. My life is just that: Mine. "Brandishing" could be as simple as telling/threatening someone that you have a gun. It can also be displaying a gun in-hand/threatening without legal/legitimate justification to do so. To further clarify, as per WA State law, the mere act of carrying a holstered handgun in open carry DOES NOT constitute brandishing. Gotta go . . . I have flies to tie. And yes, even tho I'm in my house & it's light outside, there will be a means to defend myself at hand, should that become a reality. I'm a survivor; 66-years on earth aren't enough for me. I wish you well.

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Did you ever shoot at somebody. It's a weird feeling. When I was a lot younger I was told by a cop how to do just that. If you shoot somebody, shoot to kill. That way all bases are covered. I was lucky that I missed him. No more problems after that. It scared the shit out of myself.

I thought that I was protecting my ex-wife at the time. It didn't work as she went right back the SOB.

18. Jim Ficklin

Appears that you were doubly-lucky, Jim.

19. Jim Ficklin

Forgot one, Mr. Spot (and this is my #1):

1) I may again someday be a targeted victim/prey, but I won't be a defenseless targeted victim/prey, aka "Personal Protection." You apparently missed the key point.

My choice, my right.

Now, back to tying leeches . . .

triploidjunkie and G-spot4u like this.
  20. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

It's none of my business what you do as long as you're within the law. I expect the same consideration.

Sahalee, enlightened, PT and 4 others like this.