Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Didn't know that, but sounds about right. I'm not sure what it has to do with the topic of this thread, but I am a former lobbyist for the tobacco and alcohol industries. I worked for a while as a fundraiser for second amendment advocacy group. My work experience is pretty well summed up in William Buckley's book, Thank You for Smoking.

2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Straight up troll. Another one for the ignore list. I'm starting to like that thing.

Gary Knowels and PT like this.
  3. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

PT. Well, there are lots of things I would want with me under those circumstances, but you can't carry everything. If I were stranded in the wilderness in WA, then I would prefer to have a satellite phone or SPOT with me than a gun. Sure, a gun might be heard by someone, but a whistle is much lighter and also effective.

I must say that unleashed dogs are at the top of my list of animals I don't like to run into in the wild.

4. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

Thanks for the response. I'm not interested. Jason is right. You are a troll. I don't feed trolls. I ignore them.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

chewydog likes this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    If I was carrying, nobody would ever know..

dfl, G-spot4u, Ed Call and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    friendly amendment, even though you don't carry

7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Ok, you are uncomfortable with my comments. You are not alone. If you can be uncomfortable with mere comments on a screen, opinions or ideas, then you need to accept that other recreationists can be uncomfortable knowing that so many people they encounter in the outdoors are armed.

I think some fellows on this thread claim to prize their second amendment rights, but actually hurt the cause. It's ironic that so many people would come out and publicly state that they CC. I thought the point of CC was that others should never know. There is even one guy who bragged that he always CC in Canada.

In my opinion, formed in part by the input of this board, there are valid reasons for someone to want to carry a gun while flyfishing in WA, but I have found it wholly unnecessary. The necessity to carry while fishing in this state is exceptional. There is no way to judge across the board whether or not an angler's choice to carry is a good one - each situation is different, each person is different and it's ultimately a personal decision. There are certainly people in our society who should not carry for their own safety and the safety of others. Are you one of those? Probably not, but I don't know.

I fish in the same waters as you. I see that many of you are armed while fishing. I hope none of you will ever need to pull or use your weapons against another person, especially me, my family or my friends. I'd prefer to be ignored than be shot, so do what you need to do.

I do love Coach Duff's take on this too. I am re-attaching his comments here.

Attached Files:

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Gspot

Lets remove the 2nd amendment.
    Lets remove legalities
    Lets go with gut feeling.

WHY DO PEOPLE FISH WITH A FIREARM?

The reason some like to fish with a gun is simply a matter of choice. Some people wont walk out of the house to check their mail without having a locked and loaded pistol, while others will go their entire life without ever touching a firearm.
    If a person wants to pack heat and are of sound mind and body( not clinically labeled a threat to oneself or society), let them enjoy the comfort it brings them and also the fact that WE ALL live in a world where the freedom to choose is still an option..... at least in some parts of this planet,
    Why does it bother you so much knowing people want to exercise the choice/option?

9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Bump

Peyton00 likes this.
  10. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I don't CC in canada.. I CC in Washington, where i am originally from.

I am not a lawbreaker where guns are concerned.

G-spot4u likes this.
  11. 9iron

9iron Member

So Gspot, you seem to feel that you should be the one to decide what rights others should be allowed to exercise and when. Are you as comfortable when someone else who doesn't know you insists that he should decide what is best for you?

Or maybe an individuals constitutional rights should be left to the individual.

Or maybe we should do away with all rights and just let The State dictate everything to us.

12. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Seriously, dude. Do I sound bothered? I appreciate your input. Here is what I am hearing from you and others on this thread. There are people who carry guns simply because it's their right. Some anglers carry their weapons with them only because it's their right. Other people will not go out of their house unarmed because it's their right.

We each come from a different place, but we are going to the same places to fish. We each have our own rituals of how we organize, store and prepare our equipment to go fishing. We each draw from our own experiences, values, beliefs and emotions when we choose to pack a whistle, a box of flies, a satellite phone, a can of bear spray or a gun to bring with us. You can't bring everything, right? We each have to decide.

I cannot recall a time when I looked at a piece of equipment and thought to myself, "I am going to bring this exclusively because it's my right to do so." There is always another consideration.

13. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

You have misunderstood me. Hate to break it to you, but we are all surrounded by people we don't know who decide what's best for us. Happens from morning to night every day. Anything you eat, the healthcare you get, the cars you drive, all decided by people you don't know and presented to you in a box of neat little options.

14. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Jeremy, you sound like a cool cat. I was not referring to you. On the holster thread, someone said they always CC in Canada, which I know is very difficult to get authorization for. I love it up in Quesnel. Hope to make it up there this year or next. G.

15. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Interesting. G Spot is concerned about people lawfully carrying a weapon while fishing, presumably because someone might get hurt, when he made a living lobbying on behalf of the tobacco industry, which has killed and sickened millions. Makes sense to me.

G-spot4u and Jason Rolfe like this.
  16. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I only carry when the voices start to hurt my head. It really doesn't have anything to do with fishing for me, it is all about the voices. Ever since they removed the tumor from my brain the voices have been louder. I may need to buy another gun and more bullets. Perhaps some silver ones.

John Hicks likes this.
  17. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Good Grief G-Spot,

It was a joke for Pete's sake. I figured you'd get it when I followed up with the border guards being upset comment. Don't be do darn thick headed.

And by the way, "Disruptor" fits pretty good.

G-spot4u likes this.
  18. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    I open carry my bobbers. Scared away some swingers who were up to no good.

19. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Alright, my cover is born. I was hired to infiltrate this board on behalf of the tobacco industry and encourage everyone to pack Camels instead of guns. If anyone threatens you or steps into your fishing hole, just light one up and blow smoke in their face.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  20. Seapig

Seapig Member

I fish in the same waters as you. I see that many of you are armed while fishing. I hope none of you will ever need to pull or use your weapons against another person, especially me, my family or my friends. I'd prefer to be ignored than be shot, so do what you need to do.

I hope you never make it necessary for me to pull my weapon on you.