Rage Debate - Fire arms carrying while fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Hoffman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

this explains a lot about your behavior, thanks for sharing!

G-spot4u likes this.
  2. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Thank you, Seapig. Now, we get to the crux of the matter. What would I need to do in order to make it "necessary" for you to pull your weapon on me? I think that would be an excellent thread topic.

Would you pull a gun on me if I came and fished in a spot that did not suit you? Would you pull a gun on me if you had a dog offleash and I called you a fucking asshole? Would you pull a gun on my son because he came to your fishing hole and started throwing M80's into it?

This, gentlemen, is exactly the point of the debate. What exactly would someone need to do in order for you to pull the gun you brought fishing? Let's hear it from all the second amendment advocates here who, for whatever reasons of their own, think it's such a neat and terrific idea to go flyfishing in WA with a gun in their pocket.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    This has to be the dumbest post of the many dumb posts you have made so far.

Damn, those voices! Those fucking voices!

Josh Smestad and G-spot4u like this.
  4. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    -Fishing beads on a spey rod
    -Drinking Heineken
    -Owning a Pontiac Aztek

Gary Knowels and G-spot4u like this.
  5. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Dude, you got my vote for best post with this one. Exactly. Wait, your'e kidding, right?

6. JasonG

JasonG Active Member

This is getting strange.

7. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

8. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Getting the thread a bit more on topic before G smack derailed it once again. One of the most under looked factors in carrying any firearm is proper and regular training. In a critical situation, you need that muscle memory to draw quickly and put shots on target. It's one thing to be able to point your weapon and repetitively make vital shots on a paper target at 10yds and its another to draw your weapon from your holster and consistently make accurate groupings.

In another thread a reference to an old comment was made about how a gun is worthless to have if someone is 21' or closer and coming at you. Usain Bolt can run at a top speed of 40' per second. This would mean that at this speed someone would have .5 seconds to recognize the situation, come to full draw and shoot the target. This could never occur but factor in a normal forest or river situation with rocks and other natural obstacles and now that time might become 3 seconds(not the case for four legged creatures). One of the tools I carry has rounds that shoot 4 9mm projectiles simultaneously. Only one of those bullets has to hit vitals within that timeframe, allowing me to not have to make a perfect shot to defend myself and buying me the time for a second follow up shot with 4 hits on target.

I regularly train with all of my guns and know that if a critical situation were to occur, muscle memory and experience will aid me in my protection and the protection of others.

triploidjunkie and G-spot4u like this.
  9. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Now I'll ask a legitimate & sincere, well-intentioned question. For those who DO carry . . . fishing, hunting, when/where ever . . . do you practice sufficiently? Can you draw & shoot with sufficient accuracy should you encounter a real self-defense scenario? "Owning" and "carrying" are not a valid insurance policy. If not, by all means practice. As previously stated, "having & not needing trumps needing and not having," BUT, if you have little proficiency, low/no confidence in your ability, and lack practiced reflex action, you have just cut your odds of survival dramatically. This also applies to bear spray, knives, hand-to-hand, and any other defense mechanism. Practice improves fly casting ability/presentation. The same principle also applies to self-defense. Fish are far less important than the well-being of your loved ones and yourself. Practice. I trained my Kids in self-defense handgun technique. Neither obtained a handgun (of their choice, not mine . . . that is a personal comfort/capability thing) until such time they were proficient. We still practice together at least once every couple of weeks. I feel that I'd be remiss had I not logged this post. Take care, be safe.

10. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Howling with laughter. So how about it, Obi? What would it take to get you to lift that gun up and point it at me? If you caught someone breaking into your rig, would you pull out your gun and point it at them? I mean, that seems a realistic type of scenario that you are preparing for.

11. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

Media:
    All that came to mind while reading this thread was a moment of remembrance I had. Tri and I were going to go fishing in a remote area we had previously enjoyed. But our second trip we headed on up to what felt like the top of the world:) tri went and put air in our pontoons as I kept warm by the fire. Out of no where came some younger men in their 20's I assumed. Like normal I graciously said hello. And with that they laid many guns on our pick nick table. Words that I normally would have scoffed and mocked and even would debate came rattling out of their mouths. I didn't notice but tri was graciously and nervously talking then packing our boats. Tri literally had to get us....and me out of there. We hauled ass out and I have no desire of returning. We were not carrying. We should have been on that trip. Either way we were fine:) but to fear a place so beautiful is irritating.

12. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Mr. Spot, You'd be better-off wondering what YOU would do, not what anyone else would do/has done. Protecting property is not a justifiable use of deadly force. The threat of assault or death is. Go read the codes and give-up your inane attempts to antagonize members of this forum. You have become a vexation to the spirit.

13. obiwankanobi

Media:
    You once again insinuate that it is legal to brandish or kill someone over property with the example that you provided. I will lethally defend myself if I was physically attacked or if my family was attacked as well.

Please go back to your World of Warcraft game and your mommy probably has your dinner on the table.

14. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Thank you for sharing this story. I sympathize. What were these idiots doing/saying and what did they look like? It sounds to me like it's good you were not carrying and you handled it with your grace intact. Being armed would have done you no good in this situation unless you or Tri had been prepared to kill these boys. I agree it's irritating, but that would have really ruined your day and probably your life. I know you are a woman on this board and a badass fisherwoman - respect. Sorry this happened to you. It's not an argument for carrying - on the contrary.

15. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

Thanks for sharing that .... I have heard similar stories from others.

Just reminded me of the time I was fishing for king salmon north of the Palmer/Wasilla area in Alaska .... another lifetime ago.
    The river was butthole to elbow .... the salmon were thick... and the booze and testosterone were both a flowin'
    At the time I was doing a work-study program with the US&FW Service out of Anchorage.
    When we hit the river I noticed more than a couple of people acknowledge me... look away from me.... and even sneer at me
    It wasn't until another fisherman approached me to tell me that he just saw a guy snag a salmon and wanted to know what I was going to do about
    did I figure what was playing out. I had my damn work hat on and sweatshirt ... and a lot of folks on that river thought I was law enforcement.
    I ditched the hat and moved downstream.
    It wasn't long until I saw guys fighting, toddlers crying, women yelling .... it was crazy effed up human behavior on a tremendous king salmon run.
    Looking back I am sure at least one of the guys that showed me this area was packing .... but at the time the thought never occurred to me.
    If I were ever going to go back to a fishery like that (which I doubt I would) .... I would be ccw .... no-one would know .... and I would as I always do try to avoid confrontation and de-escalate whatever may need to be de-escalated as far as my welfare and the welfare of my group is concerned.

Lastly ... WTF kinda username is G-spot4u anyways ?
    Shouldn't you be posting on an Asian Massage Parlor review forum or somewheres similar ?

16. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    The biggest reason I chose to carry at times was the simple fact of, if I ever happened to stumble upon bigfoot I am gonna put him down and hang him over my mantle, just above the chesterfield.. Ain't no ESA listing on a single remaining bigfoot either..

17. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Never heard any complaints before.:)

18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Well, you have just out dumbed your previous dumbest post. I didn't think it was possible.

19. obiwankanobi

Media:
    I worry about a zombie attack most of the time so while my Bushmaster BA50 can get heavy at times, it will bail me out of serious trouble. Besides if I get my fly stuck on a tree across the river, I can pop off a few rounds at the trunk, drop the tree and retrieve it.

Attached Files:

20. enlightened

enlightened Active Member

Media:
    In that incident carrying would have helped. And yes, i would have been ready use use it. With proper training my dad and others had me take, we should have been carrying. Don't misunderstand, without tri I don't know what would have happened. I believe for me there is a time and place. Hence the reason we weren't carrying. And we have never. Though it is nice to know that constitutionally I can. And at times may. But responsibly. Too many cougars, wolves and some crazy bears. But tri just hits the bear with his fly rod;)

Ed Call likes this.