Raging River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayH, May 9, 2013.

1. JayH

JayH Member

With all this high water I did a little exploring on the Raging River this afternoon upstream from the Hwy 18 bridge. The caddis fly larvae are ubiquitous and so are the thousands of doomed fry unless the water comes up again and rescues them from the isolated pools. I thought the fry were trout but a buddy thinks they were probably salmon. Maybe an inch and a half, brown to gray body with black spots running along the middle front to back, a reddish tail and white outline on the pelvic fins. Sorry for the poor pix :-(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Rather difficult to tell at that stage of development, without very close examination, most very young salmonids look quite similar. With its extreme seasonal variations in flow and temperature Raging River offers only extremely poor of habitat for resident fish.

3. Nicolas Eckhardt

Nicolas Eckhardt Member

Media:
    They are probably Coho fry. There are a lot of them up there. I've caught a bunch of them when I was doing some field work up in that basin. The features you describe are typical Coho.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  4. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    That's why it's best not to fish here, as you'll mainly be hooking juvenile anadromous fish.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    +1. Only thing I"ve ever seen there is salmon and steelhead smolts. It's one I'm surprised is even open.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

GOLD!!!!

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I knew a guy that fished it in the winter time. He was always catching Steelhead out of it.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    They close it long before the steelhead show up now. That, and there's probably 5 steelhead that make it back there anyways.

9. Santo Roman

Santo Roman Wine Slut

Home Page:
    I fished the raging about a week ago or so and was picked up trout like no mans biz. I did see what looked like the same above but left them alone. They were pretty much hugging the shallows/rocks. As for the trout...deep pockets, running water. Spawning time last year we saw pretty much everything including a bear. Only a few steel/sal. but it seems harder when the outlet of the raging into the snoqual gets smaller so I don't think many big boys get up there

santo

10. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Isn't Raging River closed until June?

11. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

According to the regs, the Raging is open the first Saturday in June through Oct 31, so if you are fishing it - STOP!

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    You should probably read your regs before fishing somewhere. Especially when talking about it on the internet.

13. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    People, trust me on this: the Raging River gets plenty of anadromous fish. Is there a shelf at the mouth? Yes. Does the water come up several times a year allowing fish to cross over the shelf with ease? Yes. Are there many resident trout? No. Are the resident trout vastly outnumbered by juvenile anadromous fish? Yes. If you're catching "rainbows" there, chances are, they are baby steelhead.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  14. Santo Roman

Santo Roman Wine Slut

Home Page:
    Crap!! that's not even the worse part Evan. I just found out today that my lic expired on May 1st! The worst part about everything...I was fishing with someone from fish & game and from the USGS for servicing a station. Talk about a cluster F#*$!

santo

15. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Media:
    You sure it wasn't April 1st? Pretty sure licenses run from April 1st to March 31. The person from fish and game should lose their job.

Steve Call and triploidjunkie like this.
  16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, you need a new license in April.

17. ummm wow fishing closed waters with an expired license strong genious up in here

18. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

You know I wasn't gonna comment but come on! It really pisses me off when people don't have the decency to check the regulations before they fish a body of water. It just shows you don't give a shit and its not important to you. I have to yell at people all the time that just assume its anything goes all the time. SLAP YOURSELF..RIGHT NOW!

JayH likes this.
  19. Santo Roman

Santo Roman Wine Slut

Home Page:

walking around, checking under rocks, tagging fish and fixing a water station is for from fishing. Looking at the pollution levels of the river and marking properties. Sorry we can't be all upstanding citizens as Mr. Williams. Maybe I should stop giving up my free time to make sure water stations work correctly, the amount of erosion on the river from peoples property is not too much and trying to figure out where the small amounts of oil were coming from. So glad I don't get paid to do all this. I'd feel like a freeloader. Oh and the lic...it was okay. I was looking at the 2011-2012 one in my vest. I tend not to toss things out.

s

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  20. your clearly trolling