Rain

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by m.albrecht@comcast.net, Aug 28, 2013.

1. With the rain coming tomorrow and it appears to be forcasted for heavy rain will that help or hinder our chances for a good weekend of fishing for pinks in the south sound.

2. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I'm also curious as to what this will do for beach fishing. I plan to fish this weekend with my new six weight but now I'm not so sure. Does the rain trigger the instinct to head upriver putting the fish off the bite?

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Lots of rain in late August can make coho behave differently and fishing difficult. They can go into lockjaw mode, run deep off the beaches or bolt for the rivers.
    I hope it stays dry in September so we can have actively feeding fish into October like we had last year.
    SF

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

My limited experience tells me that the days immediately following some rain after a dry spell usually offer good fishing. It seems like a little rain gets the fish active and moving which is a good thing if they haven't been at the beaches you fish in decent numbers. I have a small sample to pull from but this has been my experience so far. Hopefully it will stand true this weekend because I have 4 days to fish!

5. Cuttbow82

Cuttbow82 Active Member

It's supposed to be dry Saturday and Sunday, so I'm hoping that your observation holds true for me! Will be fishing west side of Whidbey Island this weekend.

6. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

What I noticed off of my usual MA11 beach yesterday after the rain the night and early morning before was:
    1. The fish were active. A lot of finning and jumping. The problem with that was that they were spread way out. 25 to 150 yards off the shore with no consistent lane travel.
    2. They seemed to be making a better effort to get off the hook. I went 1 for 7 on good hookups before things quieted down.
    3. They were MOVING toward their natal river! In the past I've seen jumpers that would jump, go 50 feet, jump again, and so on. Yesterday, in the same time frame between jumps, they were going as much as 100 feet.
    4. Some of the fish were very aggressive. Had one fish hooked 3 times before I finally lost it. 1st hookup then LDR. Cast just upcurrent of the LDR for 2nd hookup and LDR. Repeated one for time for final hookup and LDR. That WAS fun! :)
    One observation I made that I need to follow up on is that all the LDR fish were hooked on flies tied on Daiichi 2546 (mostly #6) hooks. My lone, landed fish was tied on a Gamakatsu SC15 #2. These 2 are closely equivalent in size. The Daiichi has heavier wire, a longer shank, and a more open gape. Hmmm...

High Flyin and Nooksack Mac like this.
  7. Thank you for the information. I am hoping that the rain and subsequently sunny skies will produce good results for this weekend as I hit a MA 11 beach or two!

8. High Flyin

High Flyin Member

Went out last night and the fish in area 11 were jumping just like Dennis said. For and hour or so some schools rolled by but they didn't seem interested but the SRC action was awesome. It's great to have some SRC around to keep me busy on a slow salmon night. Taking the boat out tomorrow morning with the 6 wt and gear. We will see which one wins.

9. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I had a similar experience and now think that long shank and heavy wire are not a good combo for light-hitting, soft-mouthed, and flip-floppin pinks! Size 1-2 Gami/Owner/Allen octopus are pretty much all I run now for salt.

10. Metalonthefly

Metalonthefly Member

I say it makes for good fishing on the day of rain b/c no one else is out.