rainbow trout streamer immitations

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ReelFlyBro, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Looking for patterns that resemble rainbow trout from 2-6 inches. post 'em up, with recipes please. thanks a bunch

2. I wouldnt mind seeing some ideas either..

3. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Here are a couple with proof of success.

The T&A instructions can be found here http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/kgtrigger/index6.html.

The Swimmin' Jimmy is a niche fly with the tying instructions linked on the same T&A instruction page. If you read the comments under my photo, there is a nice tutorial by its designer, Andrew Sobota, on how to present the fly.

You may also want to look at Shane Stalcup's flash fry. I haven't photographed any that I've tied, but there's a picture you can enlarge on Galloup's site. http://www.slideinn.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=161

4. definitely two of the best producing rainbow patterns right there (at least for me)...just make sure not to use too much pink or red marabou b/c it bleeds pretty bad

i've also had a lot of luck with this pattern, just throw a little streak of pink marabou in...it swims very erratically like the swimmin jimmy

http://www.slideinn.com/store/images/Deerhead Bunker Web Pic.jpg

5. There is a set of famous flies, I think they are called the "little trout" series:
    Little Brown Trout, Little Brook Trout & Little Rainbow Trout. They are all bullet head bucktail streamers. I believe they were invented by a guy named Slaymaker. A google search should get you more info.

6. Chris,
    The t/a is a good pattern as is the swimming jimmy. Where's dan soltau when you need him? As keaten said pink runs as does red. Your best bet is to just buy more pink shoelaces and nymph pink worms. Come on bro. Don't taze me bro.

7. Thanks guys. Riseform, thanks for the links, pics....much appreciated. Im hoping to create some photos like the last one, brown trout eating mini bows. right on!

charles, you are way too jazzed this early in the morning, lol

8. Bitterroot,

I think you are thinking of the "Thunder Creek Series" streamers that include the Brook, Brown, and Rainbow Trout in them. These are bullet head streamers tied sparsely with bucktail, a painted eye with pupil on the bullet head, and the head is epoxied for durability. I think they are the best imitations of Brook, Brown, and Rainbow parr, eventhough I know there are others. The "Thunder Creek Series" streamers were originated by Keith Kulsher. He wrote a book with the name TYING AND FISHING THE THUNDER CREEK SERIES back in the 1970's. It was republished about 5 years ago so it shouldn't be that hard to find.

You can find the pattern for the Rainbow Trout and a few other of the "Thunder Creek Series" in Stewart and Allen's FLIES FOR TROUT, which is readily available.

Granted the Thunder Creek Series take a little time to tie properly (and sparsely enough), but they are well worth it because of their effectiveness.

9. F.T.,

No, I'm not referring to the Thunder Creek Series, although they are excellent as well. In my copy of "Flies For Trout" by Stewart and Allen the Thunder Creeks are shown on pg. 107 and the flies I'm referring to are on pg. 114. Designed by Sam Slaymaker. Check 'em out...

Lonnie

10. berkleys hollow belly in the 5 " size. throw it on a weighted 3/0 gami. it'll get em.

11. I have been fishing those Streamers for Years.. Sam Slaymaker is their creator and they are referred to as the "Little Trout Series".. The Brook Trout version is always effective in the Sierra Back Country for bigger Brooks and the Rainbow and Brown Trout versions work on Most Sierra rivers i have fished them in..always a Cannibal Trout around to spice things Up....;)

DEAN ~~~~

12. Wiggler rainbow. Fish it on a sink tip or full sinking line. Strip quickly and it dives. Stop and it floats back up.

13. Gulleys baitfish
    Sumpin' Ugly Series- Minnow
    plus, the others