rainshadow 10'8" switch

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by the_trout_bum, Oct 8, 2008.

1. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    ive heard enough about the whole switch rod craze and its time to see what its all about. was thinking about building a 10'8" rainshadow 5wt. switchrod. any opinions on this one?
  2. rmflyrods Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Good choice. I've built switches on all sorts of blanks and I still feel that Rainshadow switch blanks are up there in quality. Personally I'd go with a 7 or 8 weight though. Unless smaller fish are what you normally go after.
  3. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    go with the 7wt. Its a great blank
  4. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I'm with Tyler and I own the 7wt. I don't personally think the 5wt is their best blank.
  5. Tom Martin Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I was thinking about the same thing... while researching on the web, found this..

http://www.infinityrodcreations.com/batson_evolution.htm

Beautiful work and lots of possibilities. I haven't built a rod in over 20 years, but thinking about a couple for my grandkids and one of these for Grandpa. Keep us posted on how yours turns out.
  6. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    i wanted a 4 or 5 weight cause ill mostly be going for trout with it, maybe smaller steelhead in smaller rivers. i have a full size spey rod for my s______ river games and bigger fish, just wanted to see what this switch rod craze is all about.

if i get my hands on a kit ill let you know how the building process goes.

waterside,

the trout bum
  7. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    I have built about 50 of them in different wt's and I would go with the 7wt for an all around rod. You can still fish for trout with a 7wt. It will make your life a lot easer then the 5 or 6. If you want to take to the beach its a much better tool. You have to remember its not going to feel like your typical 9' 7wt.
  8. bankwalker Member

seattle
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    i had the 6wt and it fished alot softer then a beulah or sage zaxis 6wt. i wished i had gone with the 7wt after the first time i fished it. but its a great rod and i would have another one built in a heartbeat if i get back into flyfishing.
  9. Rob Zelk I swing, therefore i am.

Steelhead Central
    I really like those blanks. I think the 5 weight is a killer little rod if you have the right line on it. One good thing is that they are pretty affordable depending on what components you get to fishing the rod out. My buddies girl landed her first steel on the 5 weight last weekend, check out the pic the speypages gallery. I tried to up load it here before i realized the gallery was frozen.
  10. synister370 New Member

pittsburgh pa
    i have one 6 wt and and love it

i would of gone 7 weight..but just last week fought a 22 lb king for over 45 mins. it ran me up and down stream for ever was going for browns and steelhead but this guy decided he was hungry...rod help up landed a few more kings after that one..

excellent rod
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Tyler, why would you go with the 7 wt instead of 8? I'm thinking of building a rainshadow switch and would be interested in your reasoning.

Thanks Chris
  12. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    He was looking for a lighter rod. With the 7wt you can still fish for trout with bigger patterns, I just think an 8wt is over kill. If your looking for a steelhead rod thats a different story.