Rainshadow blanks?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Nailknot, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Has anyone ever tried Rainshadow blanks? How do they compare with other, more well know, blanks?

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Basically they are about all I fish with.

I find it really hard to compare a blank to another line, as no two rods will fish exactly the same.

In general, their IM-7 blanks are a nice casting Medium to Medium fast blank for general trout or salmon depending on the weight. I have a 4 wt and a 7 wt in this series.

The IM-8 XCEL series is a fast blank designed for long lines, heavy heads and people that like fast actions. My most recent rod to build is a 9 wt in this series.

Rob

3. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    I built a 9 foot 5 weight in their IM-6 blank. Nice quality blank, medium flex, it's forgiving on light tippets. It has enough power to shoot line, but nothing like my store bought SP 590. I'd like to build a 8 weight in their RX-8 blank.

:thumb

4. IveofIone

IveofIone Guest

This winter I have finished a 4wt and a 5wt 9' IM6 Rainshadow rods. I haven't had a chance to fish with them yet but I have been casting a lot out on the snow. I feel like the 4wt is closer to a 5wt and the 5wt seems to throw a 6wt better than a 5wt. But that was with DT lines, perhaps when the new WF lines get here I'll have a different opinion. One other thing, the blanks are as straight as any I have purchased at any price and represent a very good value for the money. Ive

5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the feedback! The rod I'm considering is a IM6 10' #7. Also considering a Dan Craft Sig IV 6wt 9. Any feedback on those specific blanks? Much appreciated.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    At www.rodbuilding.org you will get many more opinions and feedback. It's all about rod building on that site. It's very friendly an a ton of expert advice.

Roper,

Truth above all

7. Big Ben

Big Ben Guest

Whoa Partner, 10' might be a mistake.

I'd make sure I threw that 10 footer around awhile before comitting. The added length wears out your arm and kills accuracy, at that length you might check out a 12' spey for a 7wt. If you're trying to add distance go for a shooting head line. Just my .02. My brother went up to a 9'6" 6 wt and can't stand it. He borrows my 9' Avid 7wt everytimne he sees a flash in the Lewis. BTW what are you fishing for with the 10'?:hmmm

8. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Whoa Partner, 10' might be a mistake.

Roper- thanks for the link. Ben: I've been fishing a 10 footer for a while, and it doesn't wear me out or hurt accuracy (in fact I find much more line control with it). I fish it with a muti-tip. The 10' 7 is my steelhead rod summer/fall for larger water, casts further and mends easier = line control. I'm looking for a single hander. Thanks for the feedback fellas.