rainshadow blanks?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by bankwalker, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

cool it handles it all good? doesnt come off at all?

2. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    With what I said previously being all well and good, I would say build the 7wt Switch cus' you'll be happier in the long run.

I have and will again use my 9wt for a switch rod which is why I bought the second fighting butt, but a true switch rod will get better flex through out the rod and make fishing more enjoyable.

I am probably going to build the 6wt Rain Shadow Switch to compliment my 7/8 wt and 8/9 wt spey rods before I go totally nuts and start in on the higher end gear.

3. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

well for anyone who is interested...i emailed batson about the action on the rods and how they compare towards the z-axis and the beulah's. and they said they are a little softer then a z-axis and more like the beulah.

im gonna have the 7wt tied up. i would really rather have a 6wt sence i usually fly fish the summer for steelhead and use it for silvers. but i think that the 7wt will better suit what i want to do so i can still use it durning the winter with out much trouble.

basicly im just gonna use a running line and what ever line i can find to cut up to balance out the rod for beach fishing...mainly overhead casting.

and i really have no idea on a line for steelhead. batson said they balance out well with any normal WF steelhead line. so yeah its gonna be just a trial and error thing i guess.

4. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Lets be sure to post back some lines that work for spey deliveries with these rods. I'm starting with my Rio Windcutter 6/7/8 on my 8wt.

5. greyghost

greyghost Member

Media:
    I'm going to be wrapping an 8wt from this blank, and I think I'm going with the Elixir 380 or 420 from Beulah. It will be awhile, but i'll let you know what I find.

Pete

6. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

well according to batson they are designed to cast any standard wf single hand flyline...

so yeah.

i got a few lines in mind. but im gonna wait till i get to feel the rod before i make my selection.

7. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    The Yancy line was specifically designed for the Rainshadow blank. May be worth a try to take a look at it when/if you need a good multi tip system that will overhead or spey cast well.

8. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

thats one line i had in mind

9. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    You are welcome to come borrow one of mine to try out. Let me know once you get your rod built and we can set something up.

10. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

sweet.

they are expensive now that they dont sell the tips so i have to go buy my own...and rio tips are like $20 each...$100 for all 5 tips is rediculous then add $50 for the yancy line without tips...GRRR lol

11. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I buy type 3's and type 6's. I can manage for the most part of the year with those. Then I have a type 8 which I have never actually connected to the head so far.

12. bankwalker

bankwalker Member

yeah i never used my type 8... put it one once and yeah it sunk to fast for everything...

never used my floater either but it was nice to have just incase. im always stuck with the type 3 and 6 aswell.

well i got everything ready to be built just waiting till i get the money to have it done...so yeah. sold my 8wt setup and now just need to get rid of the spey rod and im set.