Rainshadow/Forecast blanks?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Mike S, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Mike S

Mike S New Member

I have read good things about these and since my wife wants a 'pretty blue one' looks like building one of these is in my near future. Any suggestions on where to pick up the blanks and components? I see Cabela's sells them, not opposed to that but thought maybe there is a local or small mail order house that provides good service and fair prices?

Any other suggestions for a 9' 5wt in this blank? I was thinking of maybe experimenting with single foot guides, or ??? Also I will want a cork handle, not rings,

thanks,

Mike

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Talk with Ron up at All About the Fly in Monroe (site sponsor), or head up there and check out what he has available. I bought my first blank up there, an 11'6" Forcast blank and it's great.

Just picked up a 9' 6wt RX8+ blank, reel seat and guides today and will build it soon, I hope... I've already got some damn good cork for it, but they sell preformed corks as well. If AATF doesn't have it, they'll order it for you or let you know where you can pick it up.

Have fun!
    Bill

3. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
    Mike,Give the folks at Utmost Enterprises a call,800-588-6648 they are just down the street from Batson in Sequim,also they give a discount on all the Forecast components that you will need....Good Luck,Alan

4. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

I built one of the "pretty blue" RX6 blanks for my daughter -- a four piece 8'6" 4wt. I like it better with a 5wt line for a more sensitive slower action. If I was building a 9' for a 5wt line I would go with the 4wt blank or maybe a "5.5wt" line like the SA GPX or Rio Grand.
    -- Larry

5. Barry

Barry Member

Check out J. Stockard. He has some very nice prices on Rainshadow blanks and complete kits. I've built two Rainshadow rods (2 pc 4wt, 4 pc 6wt) using his kits and they are first class. www.jsflyfishing.com

6. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    For a 2 hander go for the 11'6" Forecast (I've cast Bill's and it really is nice) and avoid the 13' Forecast unless you want a rod that is best for heavy lines, short casts, and high water.

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I wouldn't bother with a kit, unless it's a budget issue. The fun of building a rod is designing it exactly how you want too!! You'll have to make decisions on things that you haven't thought about, like do you want an up locking or down locking reel seat? Single foot or snake guides? How many stripping guides? Design on the butt section, or just use a decal? Fighting butt? Color of your thread and do you accent the wraps? And how good should your cork be?

It's actually a bit overwhelming at first, so take your time, pick what you think you want and change it along the way if you end up not liking the look! A kit might be good for a first rod, but I think you're selling yourself short if you use a kit. Design a custom stick to your liking and you'll have a lot more fun! :cool:

8. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

I agree. One thing I did with my daughter's rod was use Pacific Bay Illusion guides -- multi-colored irridescent -- but then I'm a little what they called "artistic." Cabela's has them online. They work nicely with the blue Forecast blanks.
    -- Larry

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Mike, I use them. I like them. So do the friends and family that I have given rods to with the intent that they fish them a lot and give me feedback. I have a few of the IM6 blanks in my garage if you have trouble finding them (unlikely, but still a backup plan). I believe I have 9' 5wt and 8.5' 4wt. Not sure, but if you want me to check let me know.