Rainshadow RX7+

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Islander, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

Does anyone have any experience with these blanks? Hook & Hackle has the 6wt on special for $130. Are they worth the money or would I be better off going with another blank?:confused:

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    I like them, but I've felt there were a bit overpriced for the performance, especially considering the cost of the Dan Craft blanks. At $130, that's a pretty damn good deal. I'd do it :)

3. Islander

Islander Steve

Do you think the Dan Craft is a better blank? I checked out the website and their blanks are comparable or a little less than the sale price on the RX7+. Are they made local or overseas?

4. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Dan has his rolled just down the street in Oregon... Both blanks are American made.

5. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    The Dan Craft blanks are sick. I am just finishing up a 10' 8wt FT. Hopefully it will be done in time to get out next week. I will give a full report then.

6. Islander

Islander Steve

Thanks guys, appreciate the info.:thumb:

7. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Member

I have one RX7+ blank not built yet. However, I have built several Rainshadow rods over the years from their RX7 series and I have been very happy with them all. This is my fiirst RX7+. I actually ordered 2 more form H&H at those great prices. I also have a few DanCraft rods which are also excellent. The difference between the 2 is I feel the DanCraft blanks (5 Rivers series) is a bit faster action than the RX7. The RX7 to me is a good solid medium to fast action rod. Great for most any fly fishing and flyfisherman. The DanCraft is excellent if you want a faster action rod. I assume the RX7+ will be faster than the RX7 and probably more like the DanCraft. You can't go wrong with either blank in my opinion.

Dr Bob:beer1:

8. In_too_deep

In_too_deep Member

Media:
    The RX7+ blank is a moderate action blank, the Dan Craft FTL is similar and the FT much faster. Having tried all three in a six weight, I preferred the FT, then the FTL and last the RX7+. The RX7+ was a little nicer with a 5 weight line. The 10' FTs are not nearly as fast as the 9' model, all of my rods are 9'.

9. Jim Fitz

Jim Fitz Member

Media:
    If you haven't made your choice yet, and "if" you prefer a faster rod, I would go with the Dan Craft blank. I think you can get a faster rod for about the same amount of money (and he has good prices on all that other stuff - Batson/Rainshadow distributer). I have not used the RX7+ but built some RX7s and a couple of DC rods. The RX7s are very good blanks, very functional, just not that fast if that is what you prefer.

I also have a 10' DC FT and wrung my hands over that and a 9' FT. The 9' is faster, the 10' is longer - I wanted a rod to cast farther (because all the fish I fish for are just out of reach)(amoung other excuses). I decided the 10' would cast farther based on advice from the rod building board.

I also like the idea of supporting a small scale northwest businessman (Dan Craft) but that is just me.

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    The 10' FT is a sweet rod. I just built one up and had the chance to try it out this week on the Skagit. Picked up a big dolly that I thought was a small steelhead at first. It was my first rod building project and I am really happy with it. I built it as a switch rod with a short spey handle off the back but haven't had the chance to cast it two handed yet. It is a fast rod. I don't think you will be disappointed.

11. DDS

DDS Member

Media:
    How would you compare these rods to a GL3 blank in higher weights like 6-8?