Rainshadow Switch Rod Building Kit

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Rick Sharp, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    I found this kit on ebay for 129 plus 12 shipping from a shop in Boise Idaho. now I've read and reread almost all the search results about this particular rod and mainly due to price I believe this is what I'm going to get next. I have plenty of rod building experience so that is no problem. I do like the handle that comes with this kit as well. The question I'd like to pose is that of a 6 weight or 7 weight. I plan to use it mainly for smallmouth and steelhead in rivers, that's why I'm considering going with a 7 weight, I'm not quite clear on the line size to use and if a 7 could be overkill for my intended use. Does anyone else use or has tried one of these rods and can shed some light on line recommendations and some personal preferences as far as 6 or 7 weight for my intended use? I also have a older model Lamson bonefish reel that I'm planning on using with this rod, again mainly due to cost. Trying to make use of what I have and spend more for "on water time". Will the reel work out ok as well? I'm new to this switch rod concept.
    Thanks in advance
    Rick
  2. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I would go with the 7wt in that blank. You don't want to limit yourself with the 6wt.
  3. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've built two of these in 8wt. For a skagit spey line the 8wt takes about 400grains if that helps you gauge where the 7wt would fall. I agree with Tyler, and recommend the 7wt over the 6 for your described use..

The grip is the standard Batson switch rod grip. The reel seat in the ebay kit doesn't look like the standard one however.

I think you might be able to do this cheaper here: http://www.utmostenterprises.com. You will 25% off from Batson's themselves.

Batson Part Numbers:

Reel Seat: RYSW-SG
    Rear Grip: SW325S-300 3.25" Rear Switch Grip
    Fore Grip: SW1175S-300 11.75" Fore Switch Grip

dave
  4. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I have the 7wt and I agree with Tyler and Dloop. Go with the 7.
  5. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    if I can ask what line(s) are you using on your 7 weight?
    Thanks
  6. Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    It is a cutback 480 grain Airflo compact skagit, cut from the rear to roughly 22 feet. The belly now weighs 436 grains and comfortably throws sink tips to 110 grains Skagit. This line is very heavy for overhead casting. I found the rod to be quite cantankerous to match to a line for spey casting, but the setup above works great.

The rod also throws a 7wt SA steelhead taper overhead nicely as well.

Don't let the heavy weight of my Skagit setup throw you. This is a fairly limber rod. I would not want to take on steelhead with anything lighter for fear of overplaying them while landing. The rod would be great for smallmouth as well.
  7. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I've got the 5wt version, be warned that this rod is pretty slow and doesn't overhead for shit, however it launches a rio afs circle speyed
  8. Derek Day Rockyday

Olympia
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    I have 6 wt and I really like it. It is small for river smallies and steelhead. I often cast a standard WF 7wt line on it and can overhead and spey cast the same line to the backing.

That said, get the 7wt, which I have as well. I throw around 350 gr. @ 25' and it will put a heavy fly and 10' of t14 across a medium size river. The 7 wt is heavy for trout (anything sub 16'' can't put enough bend in it to be an effective shock absorber--so you ldr a lot of fish), but it handles very nicley on larger trout and smaller steelhead and will do well on river smallmouth.

The rod in my pic is the 6wt, accompanied by a 25'' rainbow.
  9. rmflyrods Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I have a 7-wt Rainshadow for a personal rod. It is a pretty nice blank, imo.

On the 7-wt, I've tried a lot of lines on it. All the way up to a 540 grain skagit. I like a 420 grain compact skagit. I also have a 300 grain AFS Outbound when I'm truly switching back and forth between overhead and dloop casts.

I've caught some pretty small trout on this rod and I haven't had the problem described with LDR's. FWIW.
  10. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Why don't you give Angler's Habitat a call. That is his listing.
  11. bankwalker Member

seattle
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    the 6wt i had custom built a while back fished alot more like a 5wt.
  12. wideangle New Member

West Linn, OR
    Thanks for all the great posts I am about to build this rod.
  13. Tyler Speir Artist

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    2 years later haha
  14. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    I bought the very same package , after some messing around with ron at AATF ended up with a 7wt Ailflo 40 plus ,
  15. socallies23 Member

redding,ca tulalip,wa, san diego ca
    I have the seven weight a lil on the light side and for some weird reason feels alot like my really good friends BEULAH rod. I use their skagit and scandi offering when water is low and really grim I use the switch rod. You will have a blast fighting a grumpy steelhead on it. I've also used it to throw smaller shooting heads at pyramid lake for lohatans. Will be helpfull in a float tube as well I use mine in the sierras for big brookies in a off the beaten path were the fish die of heart attacks usually looking like a football at 5 years old..
  16. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +71 / 1
    What a coincidence, I am putting this same rod together right now. Worked on it today for a few hours. I was wondering about line recommendations as well, and all this info sure helps.
  17. Rick Sharp Member

West Richland, WA 99353
    give Gary Anderson of ACR custom rods a call if you have any questions on that blank, he helped in the design and know exactly what works line wise.