Ralph Wahl Tied Flies

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jeff Dodd, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    I had an opportunity to see a number of flies tied by Ralph Wahl today. I understand these flies have a new owner... someone Leland knows. Leland got him in touch with Gil Nyerges and Gill did his best to remove the flies (glued to poster board) and mount them under glass in a frame. (Fram Gil made)

I have heard tales about Ralph Wahl and his unofficial record for a fly caught steelhead, but seeing these flies and the framed pictures together has me looking to read more about Mr. Wahl and his contributions to the PNW fly fishing.

Here are the flies and Gil's notes of the pattern names. Ralph tied nice flies!

Ralph Wahl 6 Flies.JPG
    RW1B.JPG

Ralph Wahl 3 Flies.JPG RW2B.JPG
  2. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +407 / 0
    Boy do those names bring back some memories. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting these gentlemen, I do recall their names being mentioned at meetings and on fishing trips. Thanks for posting.
  4. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    I think there is some good writing on these guys from Artist and Author, raconteur fisherman, Russel Chatham in "Anglers Coast".
  5. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    I have Ralph's book "Come Wade the River " sitting in my library with the foreword by Roderick Haig-Brown.:D It has a picture of that twenty pounds plus steelhead caught in the Skagit. Lots of pictures of Deer Creek too.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  6. inland Active Member

Ratings: +45 / 0
    Bottom row, second from the left looks like Walt Johnson's Deep Purple Spey.
  7. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    Inland, I beleive you are correct, one of my favoorite patterns.
  8. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Ralph had a tying room in his basement that was the envy of all who saw it. Actually, it was a sort of club room for fly anglers. The walls were covered with his photos, which were developed in the dark room next door. Ralph was a splendid photographer in the Ansel Adams school, as well as an inventive tier. I still have a few No. 1 Eagle Claw 1197G hooks - that's G as in gold plated, one of his favorite hooks for his brighter winter steelhead flies.
  9. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Cool book! I love how the black and white photography really brings out the mood/atmosphere of the season in which they were taken; especially the photographs that were taken during the winter.

10. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,603 / 0
    I have that Come Wade the River book too, autographed by both Ralph and Haig-Brown. Regrettably I didn't get him to sign his Steelhead Shangri-La.
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    If you've never read "One Man's Steelhead Shangri-La", I recomend it, great book.
    Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,603 / 0
    Steelhead Shangri-La has a very nostalgic feeling to it, even if we weren't there with Ralph. Not many roads in those days. Getting access to the places to fish was quite an adventure in itself. I was glad when Ralph finally wrote about it. It would have been a tremendous loss without it.
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  13. Keith Hixson Active Member

College Place, Washington
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    Al Knudson's Spider (Wet Spider) is my favorite sea run cutthroat fly. I have also caught lots of crappie with it. A good fly.