Ran into a mountain lion today

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Nov 10, 2013.

1. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Out steelheading on the nf stilly and ran into a small (I think) mountain lion this morning. Was about the size of a large golden retriever but much meatier and had a huge tail. Scared the fuck out of me.

The river was pretty high due to the rain so I had to hike up in the woods to go upstream. When I dropped down to the river and broke thru the brush, just 8-10 yards upstream of me this dude was chilling on the gravel bar. I had seen about a dozen pink salmon carcasses/bones in the woods but I thought it was just a bear bringing them up as I have seen bear tracks on this run before. It was pretty clear I startled him too as he darted upriver and into the woods after making eye contact with me for a few seconds. I had never seen one before so I really don't know if it was a baby or was just a young adult (was afraid that the little shit might go run to momma).

Freaked me out regardless, and it seemed I scared him off too. After he turned around, I followed suit and ran away like a middle school girl back downstream. Pretty sure I peed a bit too. Don't think my little fillet knife would have done me much good. Got back to my car and drove a few miles downstream to fish someplace else. I was freezing cold before this and within a few minutes I was sweating. Pretty cool experience overall

Be careful out there....

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Nah….not a thing to worry about. You should be so lucky to see one.

Skysoldier and constructeur like this.
  3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    Good for you. A little charge of adrenalin is a good thing (especially when you live to fish another day).
    Steve

Itchy Dog likes this.
  4. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I think I'd react the same way--but I'd still love to see one some day.

5. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

You need to edit this account into something exciting...how you faced down a snarling 300 pound mountain lion with your trusty fillet knife. You're a fisherman, and a little bit (or even a lot) of prevaricating should come naturally! Fish you caught in days of yore grow in memory, so why shouldn't this skittish wild feline morph into a most foul and dangerous beast.

Gotta change the story, or somebody, twenty years from now, will drag out this post and all the years of courageous story creep will be for naught.

RadioFly and golfman44 like this.
  6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    It takes a big man to admit that a little kitty encounter caused him to whiz his pants...I'd likely have crapped mine :D. Not too many folks ever see them up close or at all. We ran into one on the upper Ruby many years ago. It was on a elk carcass on the opposite side of the river as we rounded a corner...bolted into the brush, then turned and looked at us. It was a big animal and I'll never forget looking into its eyes as we retreated.

Spencer Woods and golfman44 like this.
  7. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Hahaha I didn't actually piss myself dont worry broskis.

8. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

Hell, I would put on a big intruder and cast towards it, then teased it like the little kitten it is!

It starts by...and there I was

golfman44 likes this.
  9. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Lets be honest here, you probably would have pushed your bro towards it and called the cat

William Wallace likes this.
  10. scottmel

scottmel Member

That's an awesome story - we've had one in our neighborhood that was just snoozing in a tree a few years ago. The Fish and Game department quarantined the area and said it would probably head back into the hills after a day or two. I never did get to see it, but quite a few folks had to go down and see it for themselves.

11. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

That is some neat stuff. One of my bucket list things is to see a mountain lion - on my terms.... yeah, right. I'm sure they have seen me in my wanderings.

MB

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I have seen three. One crossed the road in front of me a couple miles from my house earlier this year. Another was just across the fence in my back yard when I took the dogs out several years ago. And the first was when I was deer hunting... I had a rifle and even had a cougar tag. Just didn't react to the fact that it was a cat quickly enough, and was never able to get off a shot.
    Its always super cool when you see such an amazing creature in the wild.

13. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I know exactly where you were at. That is where I ran into the black bear cubs.

14. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:

That's what I kind of realized...if it wanted to kill me I wouldn't have seen it and I would just be dead in the woods next to some pinks.

15. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I am sure would have made me more than a little jumpy but it would be so worth it to see one.

16. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    For starters, what you described "Was about the size of a large Golden Retriever but much meatier..." - um, that's not a small Moutain lion. That's a BIG Mountain lion.

Second, for what it's worth (and I realize it's hard), don't ever run from lions....that's what their prey does. The best thing is to raise your hands and make noise. Like I said, easier said than done.

Glad it turned out okay though!

17. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Yea and apparently you aren't supposed to show your neck ever. Thats how some zoo keepers get killed. Even those domesticated cats can just turn in a second when they see a neck...its a kill instinct.

The guy was well out of sight before I turned around. Think the shock of seeing it kinda froze me in place. I probably dropped some F bombs too. Don't really remember

18. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

good on you. Only cat I have seen ran in front of my car on a logging road at dusk. Never had privilege of seeing a cat on the river.

19. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

By now you've probably heard that a cougar killed a woman at a WA animal rescue center today. Whether she showed her neck first, or not, wasn't mentioned.

20. astrofisher

astrofisher Clear Skies

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good for you. I'm happy you got to see a cougar on the river - AND were able to tell people you saw a cougar on the river.:eek: