Ran into a mountain lion today

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by golfman44, Nov 10, 2013.

1. I can see that...all I wanted to do when I was young was eat and make babies too.

I don't know much about this species....don't the females grow racks?

2. For all of the years and miles and miles in the woods, I've never seen a mountain lion. Obviously I am struggling with stealth and luck. In my younger days I ran into a few cougars, though. They can bite, too.;)

KerryS likes this.
  3. Not to much anymore. Mostly it's bred out of them. But I'm not a rancher, I just read a lot.

4. Seeing a cougar makes for a good memory and is something that most people won't experience. I might look over my shoulder now and then, but I'm not afraid of cougars. Shady people cause me to worry a lot more than any wild animals.
    I've seen four cougars. That's probably a fraction of the number that have seen me.

5. The NF Stilly has a high population of unpredictable and dangerous Mountain Lion's and Bears; and now that the last high water washed out the majority of the Pink carcasses, they are also HUNGRY!!! If that isn't dangerous enough, it opens up for gear fishing in a few more weeks and so its' banks will also be crawling with rude hostile pistol packing gear huckers, which in turn attracts another menacing dangerous 2-legged critter known as "Tweakers"; - It is best to stay away from this river.

6. That's not a menacing look....that's the "Got Grass" look.:)

Krusty likes this.
  7. My old lady says my driver's license picture has a 'I got gas' look.

wadin' boot and FinLuver like this.
  8. [quote="Krusty, post: 885333, In fact, these guys terrified me on a recent visit to Black Lake...look at the menacing stare.

View attachment 35163 [/quote]
    In over 50 years working in forests populated by bears, cougars, and (more recently) wolves - all of which I have had at least a few "close encounters" with - the only encounter with a "wild" animal in which I felt at all threatened occurred 45 years ago in a remote area of the North Cascades when a herd of feral Angus cattle ran me up a tree and kept me there until dark. I later found out that these cattle had been roaming that area for over 30 years without ever having been rounded up, so none of these animals - though descended from domesticated stock - had ever been domesticated.

Krusty likes this.
  9. In over 50 years working in forests populated by bears, cougars, and (more recently) wolves - all of which I have had at least a few "close encounters" with - the only encounter with a "wild" animal in which I felt at all threatened occurred 45 years ago in a remote area of the North Cascades when a herd of feral Angus cattle ran me up a tree and kept me there until dark. I later found out that these cattle had been roaming that area for over 30 years without ever having been rounded up, so none of these animals - though descended from domesticated stock - had ever been domesticated.[/quote]
    Yup...not only are they tasty, but they're dangerous too!

10. Someone left an incredulous query ("?") after my previous post, in which I asserted that humans had hunted moutain lions nearly to extinction. Perhaps it was with the "in recent decades" that I used with that comment, which dates me, I guess.

I should have indicated that over the past century or more this had happened. In recent decades (2 or 3, let's say) they have made a remarkable comeback.

Take a look at this map and accompanying caption:
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/12/cougars/spreading-east-map

"By the early 1970s, cougars in the U.S. were found only in Florida and scattered pockets of the West. Since then, more prey—especially deer—and better management have let them expand and recolonize the Midwest."

D